Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By WallyR
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 2 Post By rossi.45

Thread: When to re optimise powder weight ?

When to re optimise powder weight ?

The theory is that you try to adjust bullet velocity so it exits the muzzle while it is more or less stationary.

Is the result you got with once fired brass and a newly run in barrel still optimal once you've put 1000 or 2000 or 3000 rounds down it or decided to give up copper cleaning ?

Who has retested a powder weight ladder after fluting, chopping or suppressing their barrel ?

Does anyone retest periodically in case powder properties like volume or energy yield drift between batches ?

Any other ideas ?

Even the powder manufacturers recommend re-establishing powder weights if using a different lot #.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

sub 300 yards deer shooting...and lets face it most are sub 150 yards... not worth the hassle....I pick a load a couple of grains below max ,or for my poohseventy on or just above max, try it, if it groups ok, write it on my list on wall above reloading bench and STICK TO IT.... by being below max a change in projectile/primer or even case wont push me over the top. 3 of my four rifles will poke different loads into close enough group as to make no practicle difference.

If I change powder lots, I check my load again. If I fluted a barrel, shortened ot, hung a suppressor of it, I would certainly chwck my loads again. Normally all I'm doing if the constants remain the same is adjusting my seating depth.

In my opinion its borderline OCD you spend more time shooting tests, re tests and validation than you do anything else. By the time you are satisfied the barrels shot out and you have to start again.
    Seems the perfect excuse to do a lot of shooting
    Micky Duck likes this.

i hate shooting targets, i fckn hate it . . . but i do, often, with all my rifles, if you change lots of powder or primers, bullets etc

i am always checking . . . the rifle, the scope, is my techneque good

but then i am into Varminting . . . . which is a kind of OCD
    without a picture . .. it never happened !