Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Where can I get cheap .223 components?

Question Where can I get cheap .223 components?

Where can I get cheap .223 components? I've got a few thousand cases and I'm thinking about loading them all at once so I'm wondering where I can get some dirt cheap primers and projectiles. Mainly used for turkeys, hares, rabbits and the odd goat.

Also what powder is best for my 18 inch barrel?

Open to suggestions.

The horny 55g SP with cannelure can be had pretty cheap in bulk like 20c each or less (gunworks / outdoor supplies / wherever

Wouldnt bother saving a few $ for wolf / tula etc primers, 1K of winchester or other big brands isnt too spendy

If you REALLY want to cheap out use the powder with the least required.... like 2207 (probably pretty good in a short barrel as well)
    johnbb likes this.

Just buy hornady training ammo, or barnaul. At about .60c a shot its cheaper than reloading.

P38
    These projectiles are pretty cheap
    TradeMe.co.nz - 55gr for sale, New Zealand

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    You can do it for 56c a shot for your 1st 200 rounds with this lot:

Remington Core-lokt 55 grain SP projectiles, bag of 200 = $49 Projectiles
    CCI Small Rifle Primers, box of 1000 = $79 Primers
    Winchester 748 Powder, 1lb = $65 748

You'll run out of pills first and the powder will last about 280 rounds.

I think you'll find that stacks up against cheap factory stuff, and you'll have the satisfaction of getting a nice accurate load.

Ray.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Cheers, I get 2208 powder cheap so was hoping I could get away with that but looks like I better get some W748 or 2206H

ebf
    Barnaul sell projectiles as well... guess it depends what you want to use it for ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

yeah 2206H is pretty good for the 223 (or thats what I've been told and am using). Flat base projectiles also are easy to get them to shoot
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Buy it all in bulk and it drops a bit. 4kg tubs of powder etc.
    puku likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Cheers, I get 2208 powder cheap so was hoping I could get away with that but looks like I better get some W748 or 2206H
    Good powder but an absolute pig to use thru a powder measure. I now use IMR 8208XBR, meters beautifully in my 550 and I can load 400 per hour with no distractions.
    I brought up large on primers when I had my 38SC pistol and even though I now shoot a .45 still have over 15K small rifle primers left. Think they cost me $29 per thousand but that was a while ago and I brought 25k at the time. I don't shoot my .223's half as much as i should, work keeps getting in the way.
    My brother brings my projectiles for me from the us as he is there every 2-3 weeks and brass is recovered off the range after the cops finish their training shoots
    So really my costs are primers / powder and proj's. Last lot of 8208XBR i brought last week was 50 bucks a tin, so I got 4 ( no it wasn't H&F)
    dogmatix likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Good powder but an absolute pig to use thru a powder measure. I now use IMR 8208XBR, meters beautifully in my 550 and I can load 400 per hour with no distractions.
    I brought up large on primers when I had my 38SC pistol and even though I now shoot a .45 still have over 15K small rifle primers left. Think they cost me $29 per thousand but that was a while ago and I brought 25k at the time. I don't shoot my .223's half as much as i should, work keeps getting in the way.
    My brother brings my projectiles for me from the us as he is there every 2-3 weeks and brass is recovered off the range after the cops finish their training shoots
    So really my costs are primers / powder and proj's. Last lot of 8208XBR i brought last week was 50 bucks a tin, so I got 4 ( no it wasn't H&F)

Mikee is the 8208 worth a look or a change from BMII? I hear you get similar results with speed but it is apparently more consistant regarding ES? How long have you been using it?
    Last edited by R93; 21-02-2013 at 10:01 PM.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

How big was that tin?

Just looking the powder up, Never heard of it before

Now I've seen R93's post..

Is it the same as ADI 8208 powder?
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Mikee is the 8208 worth a look or a change from BMII? I hear you get similar results with speed but it is apperently more consitent regarding ES? How long have you been using it?
    August last year, shoots less than an 1 inch at 100 in my AR, good enough for minute of bunny at further than I can shoot. Same powder as Benchmark 8208
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Ejected
    I use BM2 and trying the 50grain Z-max(?) 55 cents a round without case. Kills shit. See 45 South from here for components

Barnaul is good cheap stuff. I've shot a few hundred of there projectiles now and am impressed. A three - four inch group at 100 meters with an eotech, i was impressed. And the guy is real good to deal with. Have a look at this.

BARNAUL - PROJECTILES