Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By Shearer
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By nor-west
  • 4 Post By Mooseman
  • 2 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 1 Post By Dicko

Thread: Winchester Fail Safe bullets

Winchester Fail Safe bullets

I've found a stash of Winchester Fail Safe 160 grain 7mm bullets at a little gun and tackle shop, old stock 25 in a box each in their own little compartment in the box, they have the lubalox coating, they seem to be a cross between a barnes and a partition.
    I bought a 100 as they are at old price as well and if they work I'll get the other 400, anway it says not to be loaded to normal 7mm 160 grain loadings but I cant find loads anywhere for the bullet, can anyone point me in the right direction? I have 2213sc and 2225 powder.

Thanks

pretty sure barnes data will be fine.... will do a bit of digging and see what I can unearth...hold the line caller.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I used them (140gn) in my 270win for a while and they worked really well. I developed a load for them simply using 140gn projectile data and didn't have any issues or notice anything unusual about them from a reloading perspective. From memory I was driving them at about 2900fps from a 24" barrel using AR2213sc.
    What cartridge are you using?
    nor-west and Moa Hunter like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

nor-west likes this.

yip it does....in the loading data....down a few pages is projectile with FS beside it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I used them (140gn) in my 270win for a while and they worked really well. I developed a load for them simply using 140gn projectile data and didn't have any issues or notice anything unusual about them from a reloading perspective. From memory I was driving them at about 2900fps from a 24" barrel using AR2213sc.
    What cartridge are you using?
    7mm rem mag
    Shearer likes this.

I used them a bit in my 338 WM (shot my moose with them in Alaska) 230 gr also bought some factory loaded ones in 270 (140 gr) and 7 mm Rem Mag (160 gr) shot a few deer with the 338 230 gr and 7mm Mag 160 gr and they worked well, never recovered any from animals but got several out of pine stumps out of 338 (see pics)
    For general hunting they are fine and for the likes of big sambar stags they would work well, unfortunately they aren't the best at distance as the BC is lowish.Name:  338 Fail Safe.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  1.46 MB

In my old Rem 7mm Mag I was getting 2924 fps av with the 160 gr FS and the BC is .382.
    nor-west and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Thanks Micky, I'll find a powder equivalent, no Winchester pwder in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    7mm rem mag
    Good. I think the faster you can drive them the better.
    Longrun likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    Thanks Micky, I'll find a powder equivalent, no Winchester pwder in Australia.
    I would look in manual...and check to see if what Winchester has put in for the failsafe is on par with other projectiles and take your que from there...

Used factory 270gr FS in 375H&H, recovered one from an impala shot at 100m lengthwise, looked just like a Barnes. It’s a tough bullet for NZ deer, I would say similar terminal performance to BarnesX.

Quote Originally Posted by HandH View Post
    Used factory 270gr FS in 375H&H, recovered one from an impala shot at 100m lengthwise, looked just like a Barnes. It’s a tough bullet for NZ deer, I would say similar terminal performance to BarnesX.
    Yep thanks @HandH looking for a camel and brumbie bullet for the 7mm Rem Mag, I wanted the partition or similar and I found these.

Quote Originally Posted by HandH View Post
    Yep thanks @HandH looking for a camel and brumbie bullet for the 7mm Rem Mag, I wanted the partition or similar and I found these.

I loaded 150s in my .308 back in the day. I hit pressure 2-3 gns below my cup and core loads. So start a bit lower.

I reckon they are harder and expand less than a Barnes tax. Close range load…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nor-west likes this.