Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Double Shot
  • 2 Post By chainsaw
  • 1 Post By Cartman

Thread: The word on 6.5x.284...

The word on 6.5x.284...

After much toing and froing discussions with folk here and in depth detailed talks with a couple of gun smiths I have finally decided to run my new build as a 6.5 x .284... This is based on a Ruger M77 LA in SS with a 24" std profile barrel and the use of an MAE Compact 30 over barrel suppressor all sitting in a Boyds Laminate stock.

It'll be used mainly as a heavy bush gun, but also something to use between 300m - 600m range

As I enjoy my reloading I'm looking for some feedback from you team as to what you're throwing down your barrel and the bang stuff used to push it...

Currently I leaning towards both Sierra HPBT's in the 123g & 142g... however the Nosler 142g Accubond does interest me with it's BC at .719... so powder & load data would be interesting.

I look forward to hearing what you have going...

you may want to revise your BC for the 142 Litz busted that myth

Hi there,
    I have a 6.5/284 with a 25" barrel that's shooting these loads @ 15 degrees....Partition 140gr 54.2 Win 780 @ 2960fps......A-max 140gr 55.2 Win 780 @ 3070fps......A-max 140gr 53.2 Win 780 2945fps all loads are 20 thou of the lands. I have tried 2213sc and that is also a good powder, but in my rifle 780 is a bit more accurate if a little harder on the throat. Also the 780 seems to be a bit temp sensitive but that is easily sorted, 15-25 degrees equals for me 0-70fps difference.
    The terminal performance has been excellent with the projectiles used DRT.
    Are you considering using the Hornady 160gr RN for your bush hunting or the accubond( won't blow up on twigs etc? ) ?
    Also because you are shooting a long action the Bergers could be interesting the 7mm180gr are great out of my 7mmRUM.
    Anyway good luck it's a cartridge that penetrates well and is low recoiling so you can watch your bullet hit with no need for a follow up shot
    Cheers.

Cheers BugBait, some good info there, will look a little further into these, like the sound of low recoil....

skip the Accubonds and go for the 140 gn Partitions ..... they're still trying to design a better bullet 40 years on ..... ands not succeeding !
    AMAX's for long range
    kiwijames and Bugbait like this.

Stay with Accubonds, one do everything load is better than many loads for different eventualities, you will never have the right one in the gun when you really need it

But then I'm just a simple fellow
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Berger 140 vld with 2209 for 3000fps. Pretty accuratevbut 26in barrel not ideal for real hunting
    #BallisticFists

You will find a 24 inch barrel and can on the end of it a cunt in the bush. Also those maes are heavy as fuck and throw the balance. Apart from that cool build. Nic e to see someone building on a ruger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Mangle likes this.

I'd also go with a fast twist rate for a 6.5. Those 160gr bullets get going along pretty fast with a 6.5/284, even with a lot of twist, and out at longer ranges have it all over the lighter bullets. Just something to consider.
    Hunt with Class and Classics

“I have more promises than a vestal virgin, less time than a parking meter and less results than a sterile sire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    You will find a 24 inch barrel and can on the end of it a cunt in the bush. Also those maes are heavy as fuck and throw the balance. Apart from that cool build. Nic e to see someone building on a ruger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    As the barrel side of things will be happening in the new year I'm still considering going 22", the MAE compact is a great little suppressor, I have an identical on my Ruger .243... this build will have a Boyds laminate so will be on the heavy which doesn't bother me, in saying that I do have a skeleton stock as well so choices available...

I'm a Ruger fan so thought why not use their system, not complicated do many or has anyone built on one from here before???

Will post up some pics as we go along...

Go the skeleton stock, it's the best retro stock ever!!!!!
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Go the skeleton stock, it's the best retro stock ever!!!!!
    Yep thinking I will Stu, then I'll have to round up those pesky goats after they've fed up on summer grass...

What grass is there is looking very brown right now, the greener pastures are literally next door.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    What grass is there is looking very brown right now, the greener pastures are literally next door.
    Well I was literally next door to where the range is, took daughter out with a mate that you know, goats up that way are dumb just quietly, as for the grass it wasn't too bad...

Well got an email today (no cell reception middle of the Indian Ocean) new barrel in the process of being profiled then a muzzle thread and bead blasting...all is coming along nicely, Gun Smith will sort the bedding in the new Boyds laminate stock, awaiting new 30mm rings and Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 EBR1 Moa FFP scope to arrive, then get the suppressor sorted and she'll be all ready, fingers crossed before Jan 30/31st so I can shoot some Sika with it...