Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By dogbox
  • 5 Post By garyp
  • 1 Post By 257weatherby

Thread: Wtb ar2208 bop area , 85gr serria projectiles

Wtb ar2208 bop area , 85gr serria projectiles

Hi would like to get some rounds made up for my .243, am I pushing shit uphill? Shops say 6 months till new stock, maybe I should take up another hobby? guy I brought my rifle off said I should use 85gr serria hp gk projectiles , not sure if I will find them either. I have 200 new cases. Can trade new superformance 7mm rem mag ammo , or blue box federal 7mm rem mag. Am loving shooting this calibre , thanks for looking
    cbfb likes this.

The 85gr GK is a Good option for the 243, its frangable (soft) but with a harder base, ready good option for NI hunting.
    However if you are having problems with finding them, then 87gr berger or 87gr hornady (this one is probably better limited to goats and fallow or smaller reds.) are Good options.

I'm not a fan of a lot of the factory 100gr load as so many if them look under done (slow). Have you checked Gun City out, think they have some 90 or 95 gr SST loads listed.
    Z

Gone but not forgotten
    2208 is okay in the 243, but 2209 is better though a lot harder to find. I think Guncity in Hamilton has 2208 in stock.
    The Sierra 85gr is a good bullet, I have found the 90gr eld-x very accurate and drops deer, and is available at several retailers.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    2208 is okay in the 243, but 2209 is better though a lot harder to find. I think Guncity in Hamilton has 2208 in stock.
    The Sierra 85gr is a good bullet, I have found the 90gr eld-x very accurate and drops deer, and is available at several retailers.
    And if your rifle has the standard 1:10 twist, don't bother with the 103gr eld-x, they wouldn't stabilise in my rifle, couldn't even hit an A4 sheet of paper at 50m!

Have got a couple of hundred 85gn Sierra HPBT bullets here. 110 dollars includes post.
    7mmsaum, ZQLewis, csmiffy and 2 others like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Why 2208? damn near any powder going works in .243 - for pills in the weight range you are looking at, 2206H and IMR4320 are both really good as are: Re22, IMR4451, 2213Sc, 2209, IMR4350, 2217. Have used/am using all of the above - As to weather the pill you are pointing at to being good for your purpose, what are you planning to use it on and at what distance? 7mm Mag and .243 not quite the same thing dontcha know..... Ordinary old 95gn SST and 100gn Interlocks work fine, would be my choice over the 85gn Sierra Hp, based on having killed deer and Tahr with both. Support a local bullet builder @TARGEX by trying his 95gn Hp, they flat out work. Spoilt for choice really.
    csmiffy likes this.

Thanks for all the reply’s, I’m new to reloading, the 7mm rem mag I use on long shots, brought the .243 for use on fallow and hares goats etc. lots of good info here , I am using the .243 out to 200m and have been using blue box federal 100gr. Am only asking for this powder/bullet combo as that’s what the last owner had good sucess with and was hoping to replicate that. Rifle is a Bergara take down, have fitted an illuminated bushnell prime 3x9x40 and one of deans suppressors.

Will work out how to message you @garyp thanks

Thanks @Cigar phoned them up and will pick some up on Saturday

i run the same bullet in my 243 with N160 powder, deadly accurate bullet and works brilliant on game.
    if you need a load developed for your shooter and cant find anyone more local to you, shoot me a message.
    God only made a few perfect people, the rest shoot Right Handed...

thank you and I see your in taupo, will be down there soon for the catfish cull competition , also a lefty

And don't forget the 4350's and the W760/H414 duo as well. (I load W760 for my 87gr loads)

I had forgotten about the 90 gr ELD-X, that would be a good short/medium range option if you can find then.
    Other suggestion's of Targets bullets would be good as is that offer on the GK's.
    Z

Without telling you how to suck eggs you might want to use some Matakohe pills. Currently using them in the T3 243. They are dynamite. Taking them for a trot on the weekend targeting [excuse the pun] late stags. Bryn is a top bloke. 2C. Fuel is RL17.

Lots of good suggestions here, however being new to reloading I think I will start off with what I know should work, and then start playing around with different combos, my father has a crono he wants to sell so may have to ask for a deal on it. Thanks to @garyp for the slugs , and have brought 200 lapua cases, can’t get to fun city this weekend though for powder as I’m on call for work unfortunately , thanks for everyone’s advice/suggestions.