Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Xbolt SP projectiles

Xbolt SP projectiles

Evening Team.

Just wondering anyone on here get good groupings with a lead tip (SP) 55gr projectile out of an xbolt.

Have tried various brands of factory SP ammo and cannot get a sub inch grouping at 100m. Have also tried various loads with Benchmark II and still nothing.

Anyone able to shed some info of a starting load with bench mark.

Tried some of the OSA ammo and it was getting clover leaves.

Failing that if it is the SP Projectile what do you recommend.

Cheers

assume..you talking .223?????
    benchmark data available online.......
    first thing to try....use the OSA loaded round to set up your bullet seating die....eg put loaded round in press,have guts of seater screwed back out,waay back out/up,drop handle to lift ram,let it sit there,slowly screw top of seating die down untill handle starts to twitch..... try seating a round and see how it is for mag length,by doing it this way your olgive SHOULD be close to same distance off lands if projecties are similar shape...it wont be far off anyway.
    years since used BM powder but if you have AR 2206h...some where between 24-25 grns seems to be where 90% of people end up..... there is whole thread on this somewhere on here.
    Synthetic, mimms2 and 7'08 shooter like this.

Yip I use them in my son's x bolt they shoot reasonable.
    It probably more the xbolt than the bullet as he has two xbolts and neither shoot as well as the Tikka, don't get me wrong they shoot ok but not fantastic, it doesn't matter what you load in them.
    The 55grn Hornady are an awesome pill on game.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck and 7'08 shooter like this.

But try 2206H or Bench M2

T.FOYE and 7'08 shooter like this.

Yeah it is a 223. Don't gave any 06h, do you think 08 would work well? Will be one way to find out and try it so that's this weekend. Have you found that the polymer tips or hollow points group better?
    Cheers

Good to know. Like I said above it clover leaved the OAS polymer tipped ammo so I was assuming it was lead tipped projectiles however it could well be that the xbolt doesn't like em.

Been getting 2.5 inch groups with the sp, so it may just be me being fussy

2.5" is very average my son's will do around 1" for 3 shots but the Tikka and my Howa 1/2" or less with most pills.
    I used Targex or Sierra TMK 69grn which would be well worth a try if you can find any.

Roarless20 and 7'08 shooter like this.

222, 223, and 22-250 usually aint very fussy with 55's. Something aint quite right and I would suggest its the rifle. 2208 is listed on the ADI website as a suitable powder but 2206H, 4895, or Win748 seem to be the go to powders for most 223 reloading.

Is it the X Bolt with the 1-12 twist, or the 1-8 twist?
    Micky Duck and Roarless20 like this.

I load my mates xbolt with 55gr Barnes. They all die. Use BM2.
    7'08 shooter likes this.

my .223 doesnt care about projectile ,feed it pretty much anything between 45-60grns and it will poke them into roughly inch or under....it has been known to do so with mixed loads too.
    Husky1600 and 7'08 shooter like this.

Is 1.8 twist.

The thing I don't understand is why it has got 1/2 MOA groups its why I'm a bit struck

Hmmm, interesting. My xbolt loves the OSA Buffalo River with the 55gr Sierra Game King Soft Point. it will put them into 15mm groups, but everything else averages at 1" groups.
    I would just try to copy the OSA sierra match kings, if that is what it likes.
    Have you re-bedded the rifle and lightened the trigger? That also made the world of difference to mine

Haven't re beded but I have lighted trigger. It definitely helped
    Was my next step. Try make the ones that work.

so "something" about them OSO loads suits that type of rifle....as said earlier try seating projectiles same/similar by setting up die using factory round.... got bugger all to loose trying it.
    7'08 shooter likes this.

Try some 2208 as a mate uses that in his .222’s & .223’s or alternatively try some AR2206H

With my Tikka .223 I found different powders worked better with different projectiles so there isn’t one particular magic ferry dust to do them all.

Sounds like your rifles accuracy is just fine, you just need to experiment some more to get the right combination.
    Micky Duck and 7'08 shooter like this.