Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 6 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Chilli_Dog
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By charlie1991
  • 1 Post By Mr Browning
  • 2 Post By viper

Thread: 10/22 accuracy

10/22 accuracy

I know there are a lot out there who hate the 10/22 and there is the other camp that find them pretty good, i am in that camp. i know they aren't target rifle accurate but for the intended purpose as a small game, pest control type rifle they are hard to beat.
    The issues some have with accuracy I think comes from trying to compare them with the likes of a bolt action Bruno or some other accurate 22.
    I took my old workhorse out today and put a packet of ammo through it and tried a few groups for accuracy at 50 yards. My rifle is the older model and has had a lot of rounds through it as it was one of the main rifles I used for night shooting back in the pest board days.

I checked the sights at 50 yards and adjusted them up about an inch so it was zeroed, then shot a few groups. I managed a 3 shot 15 mm group and a 29 mm 10 shot group ( pictured) and a 34 mm 11 shot group. All in all I was pretty happy with the way it's shooting.
    I haven't used the 22 much since I left the Pest Control business so my practice time has been limited a bit.

I used Winchester 40 gr Subsonic rounds which function perfectly in my rifle even when some went off with less omff than others which could possibly lead to wider groups. I may try and find some CCI Subs and see if they are any better, a lot of guys on here use them and like them.
    I certainly wouldn't like to be a possum or rabbit out to 50 yards and beyond as my 10/22 is more than capable of ending there days.

Name:  P1030319.JPG
Views: 561
Size:  2.95 MB
    rupert, Beaker, bumblefoot and 3 others like this.

My dads got a 1960s built one complete with barrel band, last time I played with it sub 20mm 10 shot groups were pretty easy with an old 4x scope and win supersonic hollow points. It out shot my jw15. I want to try it again with cci subs and a better scope off a rest
    Mooseman likes this.

Mine has the barrel band as well, everything is stock standard it has a 2x7x Bushnell on it. The groups I fired were of the wing mirror of the truck so nothing fancy, might try it of the rifle rest one day to see if it's any better.

northdude
    Ive just bought an old sportco and mossberg semis at least 30-40 years old that shoot 30mm groups easy as well

I have one of the heavy barrel 10/22 jobbies - a later one with a hammer forged barrel. It sits in a pillar bedded Magpul x22 stock and I've run a lot of different sorts of target ammo through it (unfortunately no Lapua, don't have any and its unobtainium these days). Its not real ammo sensitive (a very good thing in a 22) and shoots consistently under 0.6" at 50Y, and 42mm at 100M with Eley Club. With Geco "Semi Auto" the groups are the merest tad wider. While I was working this example up I borrowed two other standard weight 10/22's and both finished up shooting very nicely too.

I have a pretty good Annie 1415/16 and the HB Ruger's average would be within 1/10" at 50Y.

Ain't no flies on a Ruger 10/22, and you don't have to throw vast $$ at them like most people do to get a good shooter as long as you're prepared to work though any particular example's quirks.
    Mooseman likes this.

I have one of the Ruger 10/22 Competition rifles. Out of the box it’s crazy accurate even with bulk ammo.
    Have owned multiple 10/22 for the last 30 plus years, they usually do well for what they are.
    Very impressed with my latest version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Ive just bought an old sportco and mossberg semis at least 30-40 years old that shoot 30mm groups easy as well
    One of my first 22's was a Sportco semi, can't recall how accurate it shot , back then as long as it was hitting possums , rabbits and goats she was good. It was a reliable rifle and did shoot pretty well from memory.
    northdude likes this.

Use mine everyday, it's a work horse for sure. Can headshot rabbits at 50 all it's designed for isn't interested?
    Mooseman likes this.

If it has a standard trigger, lighten it up and you will possibly do even better.
    Mooseman likes this.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

I have one of the new ones with a Houge stock and no barrel band, very accurate and reliable.
    Cycles subs flawlessly , does a lot of work between cleans .
    Mooseman and Mr Browning like this.