Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By timattalon
  • 1 Post By 57jl
  • 1 Post By Kiwi Greg
  • 1 Post By Gunzrrr

Thread: .204 Ruger

.204 Ruger

Sorry if this has been a previous topic, but I was just wondering how many, if any, are using the 204 Ruger?

I got myself a very nice savage in 204 and was very surprised to see that its hitting at a couple of hundred feet harder than my .222!

Will put some pics up of my son hitting his first goat with it at 220m when I get home.

Regards,

JK

I had CZ in .204 and it was great, hit a few magpies at 200 meters but it had a set trigger and just didn't feel nice to shoot so I moved it on. I'm reloading for my 243 with 55gr Sierra blitz kings and getting similar ballistics to the 204.

Had one for a while, good fun but it was a 10lb varmint rifle (Savage Mod.12 VLP) which limited its practicality. Sold it for a sporter weight rifle and went to 223 instead for a bit more versatility.

Yes, got a savage predator in 204. Just love the ballistic of that ammo and the lack of recoil compared to a 22-250

My understanding is the parent case for 204 is the 222 magnum case.

I have a hunting mate who had a 204 in a howa. Longest shot was in front of a cocky at a magpie. Big puff of feathers at a little under 400 metres...Rabbits at 300 is my best.
    veitnamcam, 57jl and WallyR like this.

I have REM Varmint Barrell one. Awesome accuracy. It made me love the caliber . Blue Pheasants at 300 mtrs. Then when they start to get nibbled on the nibbler got shot

Changed trigger and it made the gun. I want a T3 .204 now or similar light weight as mines too heavy to carry far
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

I have had one for quite a while, mine is a CZ varmint, Its ok, but disappointedly won't shoot 40g v-max, ok with 45g, soft point and 32g, v-max, and insn't anything special in accuracy, despite bedding and trigger work. 3/4 to 1" now. soon to be put up on consignment, along with several other varmint, small game rifles, likely end up with two sako's and two coopers, even my old sako vixen .222 might go, undecided, lots memories with it.

I have got a 20 vartarg in a cooper, and its pushing a 32g at 3750fps, with 12g less powder, fantastic accuracy, getting .250-.300 at 100m with five shots, shoots 40gs at 3400, very happy.
    However the .204 brass won't go to waste, as just bought a 2nd cooper single shot, in 6x47 rem, brass, Redding competition dies, for a smoking deal, half what I paid, for my sako 75 .223 used.

Nothing wrong with the .204, one of the best, long range varmint calibers, not as versatile as the .223 or smaller 6mm, should an opportunity, for bigger game show up. and in my view, to expensive, noisy and gets too hot, too quick, for high volume, small game shooting, ( I am in Canada, often for months at a time, small game here is ground squirrels) have shot up to 700 in an afternoon. But a fine choice for sniping at rabbits and hares, at distance.

Did a heap of research on them before deciding to go Tikka T3 1:8 223. The downfall of the 204 is most rifles are a 1:12 twist which means they only really suit upto 36gr pills, there is the odd one which is 1:10 or faster (like the TC) and that will allow you to shoot the awesome 40gr's.

Caveat: some 1:12 rifles will still shoot the 40gr's but its a real lotto draw and most wont.

57JL
    i got a Ruger number 1 in 204 shot ship loads of plovers and rabbits not a problem to shoot 200m or further no recoil just big puff of feathers good way to fertilize the paddocks
    rifle is bloody heavy but very accurate
    rossi.45 likes this.

I got a CZ 204 with B&C stock from another forum member years ago stunningly accurate way out there with 40 Vmax

Loved the cartridge so much I got a Kimber Pro-Varmint, even more accurate with the 40 vmax at 3900, best was 1st shot on a rabbit at 520 yards

The problem is they aren't as versatile as a 223 or even better 22-204

Got a ruger m77 mark 2 varmint, shoots the 40 grn very well only projectile it hasn't liked so far is the Barnes 26 grn varmint grenades. Best shot 450 yards on a rabbit.
    Just don't use it enough so up for sale if anyone interested.

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    I have a Kimber 84M Rifle Varmint, turrets, trigger job, stainless tin can, and just love it. It's heavy so also have a .223. I usually make my son carry the 204.
    Bill999 likes this.