Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: .22 ammo

.22 ammo

What is the best/cheapest .22 ammo and whats the best to put through a suppressor

Whatever your rifle likes. Buy a bunch of boxes and see what shoots well. Through a suppressor you probably want subsonic, otherwise there's not a lot of point to having a suppressor on. Lots of people seem to find CCI subs go well (if you can find them.) I run Remington subs through my CZ at about $60/500 rounds.

I usually get Winchester bulk packs for high velocity. Can get them under $50 for 555 rounds, seem to shoot just as good as any other ammo in my semi.
    I have started using my suppressor more often now and found the Remington subs very good, as good as CCI for me, and as above around $60 for 500. Can be found for even less.

I have never tried the Remington bulk high velocity stuff, but I tried a Federal bulk pack and it was rubbish. The Winchester is a slight bit cheaper and was a heap more consistent.
    This was out of three different 22s, one was shooting about 4+ inches at 70m with the federal and then under 2 with the Winchester.

I have always used Winchester subs through my over barrel suppressed 22 and they have been great. I prefer the 40 & 42gr, they hit hard and seem to be very accurate

Sent from my work bench
    etrain likes this.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

I bought a slab of Win blue box subs when they were $320 per 5,000 rounds. Seemed to be the most consistent low cost ammo at the time. Tried the likes of Killwell and PMC and the accuracy was terrible through a range of rifles.
    CCI standard velocity is currently the best priced quality ammo around but it is a solid. I have imported a Waltz die to hollow point them and will be doing a kill test on possums tonight.

As mentioned above try and few different types and find out what your rifle likes. Every rifle is different and two rifles of the same make and model may shoot differently with different ammo. Don't buy in bulk until you know what suits your rifle. Also what are you using it for? hunting or target shooting. Hunting, look for hollow point ammo and target look for solids.

Thanks for your help will visit hunting and fishing and try my luck

in my gsg .22 pistol , it loves federal , and cci .... hates Winchester ....stove pipes , fails to feed ...fails to eject ..... but some others find Winchester just fine ... ymmv
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

I use the Rem subs in my Norinco JW15A with Parker Hale suppressor as they group well & can knock over the magpies out of the wattle trees @ 100yds plus no worries, but your rifle may be best using another brand so will have to experiment I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    I bought a slab of Win blue box subs when they were $320 per 5,000 rounds. Seemed to be the most consistent low cost ammo at the time. Tried the likes of Killwell and PMC and the accuracy was terrible through a range of rifles.
    CCI standard velocity is currently the best priced quality ammo around but it is a solid. I have imported a Waltz die to hollow point them and will be doing a kill test on possums tonight.
    How much did you end up getting it into the coutry for? Have been thinking about getting one myself. My marlin loves the CCI standards. I have a stash off CCI subs but they are rapidly diminishing

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Killwell whisper are my pick for subs. They come out of the Winchester factory, have the same projectile as Winchester Power Point, are cheaper than Winchester and kill a hell of a lot better than CCI.
    +1 to everything he said

I can tell you what I use but like others have said every rifle is finicky and you need to try several brands yourself. CCI subs are superb in my Marlin 795 as are Kilwell Whispers. Win Subs including the new more expensive ones are only so so. Standard Win Subs are excellent in my EM332, CCI Subs hopeless, Kilwell v good. Recently been trying SK Subs and they seem to be very good in everything I own - damn, expensive! My old BSA Sportman 5 shoots stunning groups with the SKs - it would wouldn't it, the most expensive ammo in my safe. So, basically, I have found no one ammo suits all my guns, as stated already in this thread. I only use subs now but have a quantity of CCI Stingers - shotgun group at 100yds out of most of my guns. If I was stuck with only one brand I would favour the Kilwells.

I only use high velocity ammo and the one ammo I find that has shot extremely well in every .22 I have ever owned has been the mexican made fiocchi ammo. My marlin model 60 likes both the mexican fiocchi and also the winchester 42max it hates CCI mini mags (don't even know why I always give those things a try in any of the .22's I have owned)
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

I went through a lot of different brands prior to finding out what suited my 22 best.. I actually first laid some groups down at 25m with some lapua target ammo to see how well the rifle could shoot then tested a bunch of different brands. My 22 zastava loves winchester power point and cci subs.. My Norinco likes winchester 555 bulk pack and cci subs also.. It seems to me that cci subs are often one of the more consistent rounds through a lot of different rifles.. Maybe explains why it's hard to find

I do have left over small amounts of cci mini mag and cci stingers which my 22 didn't shoot well at all if you or anyone is interested in it?

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I can tell you what I use but like others have said every rifle is finicky and you need to try several brands yourself. CCI subs are superb in my Marlin 795 as are Kilwell Whispers. Win Subs including the new more expensive ones are only so so. Standard Win Subs are excellent in my EM332, CCI Subs hopeless, Kilwell v good. Recently been trying SK Subs and they seem to be very good in everything I own - damn, expensive! My old BSA Sportman 5 shoots stunning groups with the SKs - it would wouldn't it, the most expensive ammo in my safe. So, basically, I have found no one ammo suits all my guns, as stated already in this thread. I only use subs now but have a quantity of CCI Stingers - shotgun group at 100yds out of most of my guns. If I was stuck with only one brand I would favour the Kilwells.
    The winny subs dont cycle cleanly in my marlin, they get caught up on the feed ramp, leaving lead behind.

I've found the only high velocity CCI rounds that my 22 likes are the velocitors. They do a number on rabbits too.....