Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Yep while ago now,shot ok in the jw but even worse trajectory than normal subs. Be ideal for pig in its pen or that sort of controlled environment.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yeah I was wondering about it's trajectory.
    Cheers VC.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

I guess if you were prepared to dial the pee rifle it would be better in the wind than normal subs.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    They ricochet really well, they have a real nice whine when they go, a real weeeeeow, just like the cowboy movies they are noisy out of the ejection port of a semi due to the short case, they don't kill as well as lighter subs, they just punch through possums
    pooot, thowp, weeeow.....possum keeps cliimbing tree

LJP
    I tried them in both my model 1 Brno (shot like crap) & marlin semi (pretty tidy groups). I actually shot quite a few goats & the odd pig with them. They will exit the broadside of a goat if shoulder shot under 50yds if they don't encounter bone. One of these days I'll build a fast twist barrel especially to shoot these just for the hell of it - they work demon on silohuettes

There are a number of issues with the 60gr SSS , its more hype over substance , ie image over reality , looks the business , but is flawed as its TOO heavy to stablise in almost all 22 rimfire barrels , so in short it is TOO heavy to use , as it tumbles ( which means its going to rip/destory your silencer/suppressor ) , as well as being inaccurate .
    Also its brass case is too short ( they have used the 22short case ) , this is pure image , ie looks different from what most rimfire users have seen before , and is too short to hold the right amount of powder to get the 60gr slug to a heathly high subsonic speed of 1040-1080 fps , its rate at around 950fps or lower , way to slow .
    The short brass leaves too much of the bullet unprotected for feeding etc , also extraction & in semi's as the brass in so short , can be noisy and unrelaible as well .

The 60gr bullet actually needs a 1-9 twist barrel to stabilse , and as such needs a expensive custom barrel ( most 22 shooters will not re-barrel to use this marginal round ) .

The best subsonic ammo I have ever used is Lapua Scoremax , a winter target / biathlon round , 48gr bullet , normal case at 315 m/s , very accurate , hard hitting and BEST of ALL , can use a normal 22 rimfire barrel ( ie no special weird fast twist barrel needed ) .
    BUT , Lapua in all their wisdom , have stopped making IT , the best subsonic rimfire ammo ever made .

I still have almost a brick of this 60gr SSS ammo , to me , its crap/rubbish , its not going into any of my rifles , due to tumbling etc , and I have tried it in quite a few .

Later Chris

I think most 22 rimfire rifles have a twist of 1-16-17 , and pistols of approx 1-14