Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Air rifle advice

Air rifle advice

Hey team
    Doing a bit of research on air rifles for my brother-in-law
    He has rabbit issues to sort out and doesn't have a FAL
    Personally id have him buy the best available and not have him missing and making the damn things gun shy.
    He could rock into Guncity and they'd likely sell what ever they have on the shelf, id like him to have some options before spending.
    Cheers guys
    Micky Duck likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Not a PCP air rifle, as they do require a FAL

There are few people on here who know a lot about air rifles I’m sure they will help, but they may not be online until later in the day.
    Noswal likes this.

MB
    My air rifle knowledge is decades out of date. Personally, for non-PCP/FAL rifles, I would avoid the models that claim high FPS. Accuracy beats power every time and "high power" springers are hard to shoot well. I've heard good things about the Cometa brand.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    My air rifle knowledge is decades out of date. Personally, for non-PCP/FAL rifles, I would avoid the models that claim high FPS. Accuracy beats power every time and "high power" springers are hard to shoot well. I've heard good things about the Cometa brand.
    I could agree that accuracy is very important, but it does also need the energy to do the job. If specifically targeting small game, I would lean towards a .22 calibre air rifle. Bigger wound track etc. For a 22 cal Air rifle as peed of 800-1000 frps would work well and still stay below the speed of sound thus avoiding the loud "crack"....
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I could agree that accuracy is very important, but it does also need the energy to do the job. If specifically targeting small game, I would lean towards a .22 calibre air rifle. Bigger wound track etc. For a 22 cal Air rifle as peed of 800-1000 frps would work well and still stay below the speed of sound thus avoiding the loud "crack"....
    I was thinking the same thing. I’ve not used 22 air rifle myself but mostly I only used them as a kid. I’ve got a cheap one for pigeon but it’s low powered so as not to hole the aluminium roof on the shed. It’s a piece of shit.
    He needs to kill everything he aims at, probably out to 50yds and it needs to be reliable.
    NV would possibly be an option as well although he needs to get back to me with a budget.

gun guy
    One of the guys to talk to would be ron young in ak. Bit of a hassel but he wont sell you crap and knows his stuff..
    T.FOYE likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Sure. Quick online calculation. Even at 800 fps, a 15gr pellet would give a muzzle energy of 21.32 foot-pounds which should be plenty. My comment was really aimed at the marketing of crap like Gamo which use fps as a major selling point, claiming speeds of well over 1000 fps.
    timattalon and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Noswal View Post
    Hey team
    Doing a bit of research on air rifles for my brother-in-law
    He has rabbit issues to sort out and doesn't have a FAL
    Personally id have him buy the best available and not have him missing and making the damn things gun shy.
    He could rock into Guncity and they'd likely sell what ever they have on the shelf, id like him to have some options before spending.
    Cheers guys
    My brother was I the same boat.
    I ended up getting a .177 weirauch.
    It's pretty impressive to be fair and good quality

Sent from my SM-A025F using Tapatalk
    Maca49, Micky Duck and T.FOYE like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

gun guy
    I used a hw77 for a long time also had an early gamo hunter for long enough seemed to do the job as well

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    My brother was I the same boat.
    I ended up getting a .177 weirauch.
    It's pretty impressive to be fair and good quality

Sent from my SM-A025F using Tapatalk
    Without a FAL? Or did you not see that bit

Weirach is very accurate ......in 0.177 does 600fps so not that powerful. Dianna FT are both powerful and accurate in 0.177. Well worth a look at them in 0.22.

My Dianna completely disintegrated a pellet hitting steel at 60yds so might stop a rabbit if hit well.Close up it goes through a 2" pine board......only downside is it's hard to cock, but for a big boy it might be OK.....!
    Last edited by Longranger; 06-10-2021 at 02:51 PM.
    Maca49 and Moa Hunter like this.

Well I can finish this post up as since I last spoke he’s gone in and bought.
    About the only thing that I’ll add is he bought a .22 model so he got that right lol
    Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Longranger View Post
    Weirach is very accurate ......in 0.177 does 600fps so not that powerful. Dianna FT are both powerful and accurate in 0.177. Well worth a look at them in 0.22.

My Dianna completely disintegrated a pellet hitting steel at 60yds so might stop a rabbit if hit well.Close up it goes through a 2" pine board......only downside is it's hard to cock, but for a big boy it might be OK.....!
    They’re the berries, wish I’d never sold my one!
    Much of your accuracy will come from the make of pellet used.I bought a Camo for a local ….. problem. Accuracy was shit, until I paid 30 odd dollars for a pit of same weight pellets, like night and day
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Get either one of the 3 below:

1. Any variant of Air Arms TX200 Mark 3
    2. Diana 54 or 56
    3. Any variant of Weihrauch HW97k

If he buys used he will not lose any money on resale, these guns hold their value very well.

The choice between 177 and 22 is hard. You get less drop and better plinking opportunities with 177; you get more killing power with 22. If your BIL intends to get firearm license one day, then go with 177 for now. Once he has a firearm license a 22 air rifle is somewhat redundant.
    Bagheera, Huntfisheat and Josan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    They’re the berries, wish I’d never sold my one!
    Much of your accuracy will come from the make of pellet used.I bought a Camo for a local ….. problem. Accuracy was shit, until I paid 30 odd dollars for a pit of same weight pellets, like night and day
    You need heavy pellets otherwise you will stuff the buffer on the piston....you should never sell a good gun, they are too hard to find........!
    Maca49 likes this.