Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Anyone have any good things to say about Norinco JW15?

Anyone have any good things to say about Norinco JW15?

As above. Haven't had a rimfire for a long time but have a friend that needs reasonably regular rabbit control for horse paddocks.

Looking at the JW15 as....

1. I'm a tight c@nt

2. Don't really think it will get a lot of use that would necessitate a high $ rig.

3. Air rifle probably won't cut the mustard.

Anyone who has one, are there issues with accuracy (in the hunting aspect) or reliability problems I should be aware of?

Admittedly it's not a major investment but as stated in #1....
    dannyb likes this.

They are classed as rough but good.
    Action is a bit sticky and they can have a few issues with feeding .Tweak the mag lips to fix the feeding and just use it heaps to smooth out the action .

Sold tons of them .
    GravelBen and Ingrid 51 like this.

Good for the Money. Got one for my son. Doesn't shoot as good as my bro 2e but good enough.

Custom trimmed one/ fitted can/.. for my nephew once. They respond well to some "detailing", esp softening sharp edges/ polishing rough stuff.
    It shot as well as his father's Euro-stocked CZ and you don't cry if you gark the stock.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I have had one for … can't remember how many years( 30 odd years?), was a bit rough when I got it but has done an un countable amount of ammo through it and its sill going fine. As stated the factory mag can have feed issues but I run the Bruno mag and it never misses a beat now. The extractor needed replacing many years back but its easy to do yourself.
    I paid $100 for mine second hand back then and I think it has served me well over the years.
    Sideshow likes this.

Depends. Sometimes a fairly new one goes for 250 bucks. A hundred more and you're into second hand euro ones.

Mine is rough. Accurate enough. Good for doing anything and everything as it is cheap.

I plan to detail edges etc so the comments thus far are leading towards a new rimfire toy.

good bang for your buck ( as the doe said to the stag)
    a little bit of woodwork to float it, a bit of light sanding/polishing to the trigger group and they shoot damn well. i'm not saying it will shoot keyhole groups at 100 but its a bunny killer at 50
    headcase likes this.

Had one and put over 5000 rounds through it, never missed a beat.
    A Brno copy down to the fact you can use CZ mags in them.
    My one had an off centre bore so had to open up the suppressor a little but mate it shot very well.
    I polished the bolt which while never made it silky it did cycle better.

If you can find one the early versions JW15 A I think is the one. Later models aren't considered as good.
    I paid $250 for mine but that had a steel USA made scope with it ( bonus ) .
    Either the JW 15 or the mighty Stirling is in your price bracket and both shoot well above their price point.

The JW is tougher than the stirling though, we have a tourist attraction just out of Wanaka where you can smack golf balls and shoot clays. You can also shoot targets with a .22 , the rifles they use are JW 15's and they have done hundreds of thousands of rounds and still going strong.
    headcase, Moa Hunter and Preacher like this.

I have one. The stock scratched if you so much as gave it a dirty look, so I sanded it down and linseed oiled it.

The action is rough but smoothens out a bit with use.

A guy I know who used them pest controlling for years said that his 5 shot mags tended to lose the floorplate of the mag, and then the spring etc, so he had the worlds smallest tack weld put on one end of the plate, and they stayed in one piece afterwards.

The 10 shot mags were a problem, as I recall, 5 shot mags gave no problems.

Mine came threaded for a suppressor, but the thread was cut off center which made it pointless to use one. No big deal.

It's been awhile since I used it, but as far as I know the accuracy was on a par with pretty much any other bog standard .22

All in all, a beater rifle that keeps on ticking.

owned two over the years and used a couple of others...they like what ammo they like and hate what they dont...feeding issues from mag are easy to sort once you find ammo they like.both mine have had great triggers....well better than great to be truthfull. both shot better than I can..winchester subsonics have seen me right. scope mounting is easy if you use the likes of a 4x 32 or a slimmer vari power. currently not running a suppressor as with winchester subsonics its pretty darn quiet due to long barrel.

Absolutely love mine have put a few bricks through it and god knows how many bricks have been through it before I owned it. Best $150 I ever spent on a rifle.
    Fun for the whole family and bloody accurate too.
    Kills bunnies good too

Right. Thanks gents you have now cost me some money.
    dannyb and Max Headroom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Right. Thanks gents you have now cost me some money.
    Yeah but not very much
    Preacher likes this.

@mudgripz would be able to give the best verdict. I have had a JW27 for around 25 years now and I have put many many thousands of rounds through it and it shoots as well today as it ever has, and that is very good. I have had many since I bought this one, some very expensive ones and the only two that I kept were because they could shoot as well as the JW does.

The problems came with the later plastic stocked ones that we saw with "Polytech" on the side. That is not to say all polytech ones are poor, just that all the polytech ones we saw were. In saying that, people dont take perfectly good 22s to gunsmiths because they are working so it is a bit like a Doctor seeing lots of sick people....healthy people dont generally visit the doctor....

If you get a wooden stocked one without the wods "polytech" on the side, you should be off to a good start.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.