Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Best CCI rounds

Best CCI rounds

Hey guys.

Just after advice on best rounds for small game. I mainly stick with CCI for the 22LR and wandering what people's opinions arenon stingers vs minimag vs velocitor. For rabbits and possums.

Apologies in advice if this is a repeat thread.

I used to use stingers quite extensively and rated them very highly until I came across a "hot" one that was about twice as loud, blew the extractor off the side of the bolt (10/22) and generally put the shits up me so I'm a bit hesitant to use them again, performed pretty well though, wallabies at 100m+ was lights out.

And that is what I'm using a 10/22. How about the velocitor the data on them looks pretty good in terms of energy they carry the energy a bit further.

Wow wallabies with 22LR. Are the easy to get with a .22 ? Clean kills?

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Stinger is the product of an era where "fastest 22LR" was a thing. it is fast but much less accurate than other CCI ammo. It is also quite expensive. 17HM2 fully renders this ammo obsolete.

Velocitor trades a bit of speed for a bit more weight, generally considered more accurate than stinger and just as powerful. In the Stats apparently it is a popular choice for person defence 22L pistols. In terms of huting small game, again I think 17HM2 is better. However the beauty of this ammo is that you can use any existing 22LR rifle, HM2 rifles and ammos are hard to buy.

Minimag is cheaper and less powerful. from what I read it is slightly more accurate than Velocitor.

I think if you shooting under 70 meters all the time, stick to CCI HP subs, it is more accurate and very quiet. similar price to minimag. If you often have to shoot further, get a 17HMR. Ammo is more expensive than Stinger and Volecitor, but much more accurate and flatter.

I have been looking into subs as a cheap quiet option. The target rounds I use at the range and the tracers i have are subs and work well with the suppressor.

I havnt a clue what a good sub is for rabbits though. Any suggestions or just a standard HP sub.

MB
    I also prefer subs, CCI HP do the job. If noise wasn't an issue, I'd probably be using 17HMR for rabbits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ecw23able View Post
    And that is what I'm using a 10/22. How about the velocitor the data on them looks pretty good in terms of energy they carry the energy a bit further.

Wow wallabies with 22LR. Are the easy to get with a .22 ? Clean kills?
    headshots, but yes. My father shoots professionally and shoots tonnes of the wee buggers with a 22 every year although his weapon of choice if specifically targeting wallies is an Excell Arms Accelerator in 22wmr

I really want to give wallabies a go near rotorua makes but being public land need a centre fire for them.

Aside from the past control aspect I've heard wallabies are edible. Do you eat them or just give em to the dogs

Cci 40gr segmented subs are my favourite 22 rounds, never been able to find them in NZ though. Get to bugging your dealers to import some!

My brother spent some time in Auckland and used to get a few roos. He used a crossbow, but I think there's a minimum draw weight for doc ground. I'll find out where he went because he only had the 22 for along time and used that as well. He would have been on private ground for that.

And yup, they are edible. Not a prime cut, but in a casserole they fill the gap nicely. Just whack the back wheels off

Quote Originally Posted by ecw23able View Post
    I really want to give wallabies a go near rotorua makes but being public land need a centre fire for them.

Aside from the past control aspect I've heard wallabies are edible. Do you eat them or just give em to the dogs
    I haven't tried eating them, he just leaves them on the hill as they are shot as part of pest control and often under contract for council.

Quote Originally Posted by oraki View Post
    My brother spent some time in Auckland and used to get a few roos. He used a crossbow, but I think there's a minimum draw weight for doc ground. I'll find out where he went because he only had the 22 for along time and used that as well. He would have been on private ground for that
    Pretty sure Mototapu island has roos

I shot heaps of them when I lived in Waimate with a 77/22 and Winchester subs.I dont rate the Hyper Velocity .22 at all.If you shoot enough to be fluent with the Ballestics of Sub Sonic .22,then its all the Rimfire you are likely to need.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by Sidelock View Post
    Cci 40gr segmented subs are my favourite 22 rounds, never been able to find them in NZ though. Get to bugging your dealers to import some!
    Gun city have em

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    I shot heaps of them when I lived in Waimate with a 77/22 and Winchester subs.I dont rate the Hyper Velocity .22 at all.If you shoot enough to be fluent with the Ballestics of Sub Sonic .22,then its all the Rimfire you are likely to need.
    Maybe Ishould grab a pack of subs and have a play around. At different distances so how they go and learn their (subs) behaviour.