Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 1 Post By sore head stoat
  • 1 Post By time out
  • 2 Post By Dead Rat
  • 1 Post By Dead Rat

Thread: Best traps for rats etc

Best traps for rats etc

I'm looking to get a bunch of traps to put at various locations around the farm and duck pond here. Considering either DOC200's, Fenns or A24's What have people found to be good, and where are you getting them from at a reasonable price?
    Cheers

Victors on a wooden base with a cover over them directing traffic
    2post likes this.

Fenns work well on rats. Probably the cheapest option too. Double set in a box as per DoC sop. Bait with fresh rabbit meat. A24s are cleaner and being self setting means you don't have to get round them as much.
    Their trigger is fine and I wonder if it's possible for them to be set off by a snail,slug or large insect.

I am sure there is a copy of the doc trap now, i place in south island was selling them. In my locked shed i have bait, a good nature and a gin trap. The rats can clean out the bait and i catch more in the gin trap then the good nature.

Rats... Victor pro rat trap [with the yellow plastic treadle] in a box arrangement to guide the rat to present its neck to the kill bar . Peanut butter bait. A much cheaper option than just relying on 150s.
    Stoats weasels.. either a DOC 150 or 200 in a box. 150s are cheaper and the box is cheaper and easier to build.
    Ferrets... either a DOC 200 or 250 in a box.

If women will be working the line 250s are possibly a bit much spring pressure ? If you live near the coast with salt air go for the stainless ones otherwise the combos are fine.

Baits, if it is a set and forget see you in 2 weeks, eggs. If you can get round them daily or every second day fresh rabbit if available is fine.

Victors, this lady. https://deadrat.co.nz/

Doc traps, these guys. https://www.cmisprings.com/
    Dead Rat likes this.

Not the site i was looking for but:
    https://www.connovation.co.nz/mustelids-traps

The copy of the DOC trap is made in China... why would you bother. All the genuine DOC traps are NAWAC approved the knock off isnt.

Connovation do make an excellent stoat lure that many rate highly.

https://www.connovation.co.nz/erayz-block/c/79

Don’t bother with Goodnature A24 traps - not good value for money
    As per sore head stoat - the Victor Pro is a great option - Carol at https://deadrat.co.nz/ will give us all great prices - amazing what a Victor can kill - will easily kill mice, rats, weasels, stoats and hedgehogs - soak them in boiled linseed oil for longer life
    If you have some ferrets around - you might need a Doc200 - also great for hedgehogs
    If you have strong hands - the Fenn 6 is a great trap - in an open tunnel or pipe they will kill all of our predators and get you plenty of rabbits for trap bait - I have about ten used Fenn 6 traps for $10 each
    Goodnature possum paste is a great rat lure - never goes mouldy - peanut butter might need some oil and rolled oats - but will go mouldy in damp conditions
    Check out https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....control-22269/ for most options
    sore head stoat likes this.

As Per Sore head stoat and time out , the victor traps with the wooden base are good value for money and are quite powerful, plus you can easily carry a heap. They will kill Stoats and Weasels as well.

Rat and Possum Traps

Hello to you all. I am a trapper, so far possums, rats, mice, hedgehogs. I am new to this site thanks to one of your long time members, time out. I am here to learn and to same our birds.
    I import rat and mouse traps from direct from American manufacturers and also buy traps direct from NZ manufacturers.
    The SA2 by Steve Allan is mostly stainless steel, and is NAWAC approved for possums and feral cats. This trap is so strong, you can stand on it with no affect.
    I import the Victor wooden base trap M326, direct from the USA factory, and will have more in stock in a couple of weeks.
    I also use and sell the NZ designed and made Envirotool line of D-Rat and Flipping Timmy. Both are used for vertical trapping, and easily mount to a tree or post using screws included with the trap. I LOVE these traps. Well designed and very well made in NZ.
    The D-Rat is NAWAC approved. It has a hood that flips up for baiting, down over the trap to make sure the rat or mouse puts its head in the right position, like Sore Head Stoat mentioned with the Victor in a tunnel. These are made of stainless steel and quality plastic.
    The Flipping Timmy screws to a post or tree with screws. It has a hinge between the base that attached to the tree and the yellow shell. You can bait and set in under a minute. All stainless, except the spring is coated zinc.
    I am wellie.yank on TM and www.deadrat.co.nz
    My prices are good, and I am trapping to save our birds!!
    time out and berg243 like this.

Thanks sore head stoat for the support. I have the Victor's in stock, and a special on some that are unused and a little bit of rust. The box got wet. Name:  Great Victor Pro Photo.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  4.36 MBName:  IMG_8056 (002).JPG
Views: 422
Size:  3.36 MB
    308 likes this.