Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Bunnies in behind Tekapo Village

Bunnies in behind Tekapo Village

Last year Sharon and I spent about 5 days up in Tekapo.
    On our wanderings we were about a kilometre in behind the village between Tekapo River and State Highway 8.

We saw lots of rabbits and when we stopped for a bite to eat we estimated that rabbits were popping up at a frequency of about 1 a minute.
    Quite seriously, I could have sat there with my 10/22 and subsonics and shot 60 rabbits an hour all within a 50 meters range.

Who owns or controls that land there and what, if anything, do they do for rabbit control?

Does anyone shoot in the area or know if it is allowed at all?

Cheers
    Phil

noticed a shit ton i think is the term while catching trout around Tekapo's various canals
    Phil_H likes this.

we were down arrowtown last year, visited allot of vineyards, bunnies galore but a wee bit far for a night shoot

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    we were down arrowtown last year, visited allot of vineyards, bunnies galore but a wee bit far for a night shoot
    Trust me, these ones behind Tekapo Village you most definitely don't need to go night shooting.

Cheers
    Phil

The last time I was there they had a poison drop. Dead rabbits everywhere.

The hawks were so full they just swooped down on the odd live rabbit for 'fun'...didn't even try to catch them.

I spoke to one of the neighbors and he said they drop bait first with no poison and then poisoned bait, so they don't want any shooting going on during that time. I'm not sure how many poison drops a year they do though.
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

Morning all,pine tree land up behind the east side of river,south of village is counciL reserve(80acres) then DOC land for a few ks,then Sawdon station.Theres not enough ammo in the SI to shoot them all.100000000 of them.Here a photo i took 2 night ago amongst the houses, i scared half of them away befor.I recken there was about 60 rabbits on the grass strip befor photo shot.Name:  20210216_201021.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  105.6 KB
    Name:  20210220_211310.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  231.9 KB
    Shearer, Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.

I went out to a hilly spot last night about 8.30pm trying out new scope.Head shot a few bunnies out to 250 yds with the 308 and fmj 147gr.My wife said thats a quick way to make cat food.She was impressed.There was 1000s on the hill sides as the sun was going downs.
    Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.

This is what you need on yr 22,a clip on TA435 thermo.Go for little 200 mtr walks in the dark in certain places and you get sick of reloading yr mags.Ne zeroing of scope,see rabbits out to 300yds,but only shot inside about 50yds standing.Most rabbits with in 20 to 30yds.Name:  20210131_203312.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  3.29 MB
    Brian, Micky Duck, Phil_H and 1 others like this.

Your first picture is much like the situation I saw up there @Trout. And our farmers down here find 'ONE' rabbiit warren and think that they are about to be driven off the land by these little critters.

Are more hunters needed/wanted in the area? Who are the land owners/tenants and who does one talk to?

I, and I imagine others on the forum, would love to come down for a weekends hunt. I would even fill a chilly bin of carcasses to bring back home for the freezer.

Cheers
    Phil

That area is "sparsely populated" compared to the teviot valley. Literally hundreds and hundreds of rabbits all over the golf course in Roxburgh every evening.
    Last edited by Ryan_Songhurst; 21-02-2021 at 10:23 AM.
    Trout, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.
    #375GANG....

They sometimes have pet food companys set up at the MarryBurn Station,contract night hunters.On a nice night there might be up to 30 shooters come into the McKenzie for a few days.Shooters have their own hunting blocks arranged with station owners.H&S and stock,farm workers all got to be taken into account where everybody will be.Station owners are very select who they have on their property,shooting the place up.
    Its hard work,gutting up to 300+ rabbits,on a cold night.Bouncing around on a quad till the sun comes up not easy.Then some station owners have poison layed,so the rabbits have got to be left alone for a few weeks so they dont become bait shy.The list goes on.
    Micky Duck, Flyblown and Phil_H like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    That area is "sparsely populated" compared to the teviot valley. Literally hundreds and hundreds of rabbits all over the golf course in Roxburgh every evening.
    Iv seen that golf coarse in the evening once,woow you need a GC shop near it to keep the ammo up to the rabbits.
    Phil_H likes this.

I was down Cromwell way a couple years back, and took the .22 as my mate had access to a farm there. We were allowed to go for a shoot. I was given a paddock about 150mx150m square. After an hour I got sick of stalking around the fence perimeter stopping every few moments to shoot a rabbit. By the time I had done a lap there were already replacements feeding along the fence line. It was fun to start with but after the 3rd or 4th lap I had to admit it was a bit demoralising to think it was making no difference. Consider then that between us there were two paddocks (my mate shot the other one) and the farm was rather full of stock in most of his paddocks having bought them in to sell..... The amount of impact we could have had would be like reading the first two words in the bible...
    Micky Duck, Phil_H and XR500 like this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

There's plenty about, I remember about 12 yrs before I moved to Central Otago getting permission after a lot of phone calls and hard net working I finally gpt permission to come down and shoot rabbit on a high country station in the Lindis.
    A good mate and myself came down from BOP where a good shot might be 3-4 on a local farm.
    We arrived tooled up with 22,s, 12 gauges and 223,s, we were a rabbit killing machine and after a week of shooting the farmer was barely going to see a rabbit.......... yeah right.
    My mate stopped shooting his Shotgun after 3 days as his shoulder was black and purple from bruising, he would get into the accommodation in the evening and combine drinking rum and a bag of frozen pea's on his shoulder to kill the pain.
    We chewed through 250 rds of 223 handloads each in 2 days.
    Our thumbs had blisters from reloading ,22 mags and at the end of a week you couldn't even tell we had been there. We shoot thousands and the little void we created was replenished each night with 1000s more.
    I finally got to see it, shot in it and understand it.
    As a foot note that station has nearly zero rabbits now, the farmer 1080 poisoned the place and keeps pressure on the odd few about so the methods are there to knock them down in numbers but it takes money, recourses, dedication and time and money.
    Releasing virus's isn't the answer... as the world now knows
    veitnamcam, Phil_H and dannyb like this.