Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Bunnies in behind Tekapo Village

Theres was a magic paddock in the McKenzie yrs ago, we use to herd the rabbits into a 30 degree corner.Eight feet back from the corner to the top off the rabbit proof fencing,rabbits stacked,about 3 to 4cubic mtrs of them.Never took a rifle,we clubbed about 200 young ones on the head and let the rest go.We only cut about 20% of the paddock.Look behind in the distance, there were thousands.
    We did this drive 5 times,take out shovels and picks each time,dig a big hole to berry the guts.Grate of flagons afterwards.Good time were had.Some days around Twizel checking canels we would count up to 17-18 black rabbits.The country moved with rabbits in their 10 of thousands.
    Phil_H likes this.

Used to stand behind a large rock on the strip of land between the rabbit proof fence (which we had blocked off the holes in) and the high-as cliffs dropping down to Lake Pukaki.

Stacked a heap of ammo on the rock a filled my 8 shot Bentley up ( remember 8 shot pump actions!?) and the old man and my brother drove rabbits towards me, at a crucial point I’d open up, many shotgun shells were emptied and many rabbits hit the dust!
    madjon_ and Phil_H like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Used to stand behind a large rock on the strip of land between the rabbit proof fence (which we had blocked off the holes in) and the high-as cliffs dropping down to Lake Pukaki.

Stacked a heap of ammo on the rock and filled my 8 shot Bentley up ( remember 8 shot pump actions!?) and the old man and my brother drove rabbits towards me, at a crucial point I’d open up as fast as I could, reloading any time there was a lull, many many shotgun shells were emptied and many rabbits hit the dust as they were trapped between the fence and cliffs.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    There's plenty about, I remember about 12 yrs before I moved to Central Otago getting permission after a lot of phone calls and hard net working I finally gpt permission to come down and shoot rabbit on a high country station in the Lindis.
    A good mate and myself came down from BOP where a good shot might be 3-4 on a local farm.
    We arrived tooled up with 22,s, 12 gauges and 223,s, we were a rabbit killing machine and after a week of shooting the farmer was barely going to see a rabbit.......... yeah right.
    My mate stopped shooting his Shotgun after 3 days as his shoulder was black and purple from bruising, he would get into the accommodation in the evening and combine drinking rum and a bag of frozen pea's on his shoulder to kill the pain.
    We chewed through 250 rds of 223 handloads each in 2 days.
    Our thumbs had blisters from reloading ,22 mags and at the end of a week you couldn't even tell we had been there. We shoot thousands and the little void we created was replenished each night with 1000s more.
    I finally got to see it, shot in it and understand it.
    As a foot note that station has nearly zero rabbits now, the farmer 1080 poisoned the place and keeps pressure on the odd few about so the methods are there to knock them down in numbers but it takes money, recourses, dedication and time and money.
    Releasing virus's isn't the answer... as the world now knows
    Lindis/ tarras is very dif now days I would be lucky if I shoot 7 or 8 a week
    Micky Duck and SkiHunt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I was down Cromwell way a couple years back, and took the .22 as my mate had access to a farm there. We were allowed to go for a shoot. I was given a paddock about 150mx150m square. After an hour I got sick of stalking around the fence perimeter stopping every few moments to shoot a rabbit. By the time I had done a lap there were already replacements feeding along the fence line. It was fun to start with but after the 3rd or 4th lap I had to admit it was a bit demoralising to think it was making no difference. Consider then that between us there were two paddocks (my mate shot the other one) and the farm was rather full of stock in most of his paddocks having bought them in to sell..... The amount of impact we could have had would be like reading the first two words in the bible...
    There's plenty about, I remember about 12 yrs before I moved to Central Otago getting permission after a lot of phone calls and hard net working I finally gpt permission to come down and shoot rabbit on a high country station in the Lindis.
    A good mate and myself came down from BOP where a good shot might be 3-4 on a local farm.
    We arrived tooled up with 22,s, 12 gauges and 223,s, we were a rabbit killing machine and after a week of shooting the farmer was barely going to see a rabbit.......... yeah right.
    My mate stopped shooting his Shotgun after 3 days as his shoulder was black and purple from bruising, he would get into the accommodation in the evening and combine drinking rum and a bag of frozen pea's on his shoulder to kill the pain.
    Our thumbs had blisters from reloading ,22 mags and at the end of a week you couldn't even tell we had been there. We shoot thousands and the little void we created was replenished each night with 1000s more.
    As a foot note that station has nearly zero rabbits now, the farmer 1080 poisoned the place and keeps pressure on the odd few about so the methods are there to knock them down in numbers but it takes money, recourses, dedication and time and money.
    So with this in mind and other similar comments, here is some food for thought....

Ignoring the fact that rabbits are NOT predators , Predator free NZ wants to eliminate them and wallabies and goats and possums from the face of NZ . The 'Free' there mean ALL of them.....Considering the budgets that desperate farmers down that way have thrown at them over the last 100-125 years,, I have to ask.....one question.....

What sort of complete and utterly brain dead person thinks it will be even remotely possible for PredatorFreeNZ to achieve this in the next 20 years where over a century, the even greater resources, efforts and finances, has been spent trying to achieve this and failed?

And before someone suggests a genetic answer, consider this. The most difficult part of the genetic answer is developing it to start with, the easy part is altering an existing genetic answer to another species....In the wrong hands a terrorist intent on creating havoc would find it easier to alter an existing genetic 'answer' to their needs. Thus the biggest concern is not whether or not a genetic answer could be found to control rabbits, but more importantly how to the authorities stop someone from using said answer for more dastardly deeds? Thus I believe a genetic answer will never be found for if they did so it would put humanity at risk of a threat many many times more dangerous than Covid , Cancer or nuclear holocaust....(I am not saying which is more dangerous but I will give you a hint- its probably not covid...)
    rupert and sharps no 1 like this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

By the time the above is sorted,one pair of rabbits can produce about 300 rabbits a year.Even with only a 60% survival rate of litters to breed on in that year.And theres a lot of breeding pairs out there right now.

The rabbit will survive no matter what is thrown at it. They are born survivors.
    timattalon and viper like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    The rabbit will survive no matter what is thrown at it. They are born survivors.
    So on that train of thought should Predator Free NZ consider changing their name to Pest Control NZ or maybe step right out into honesty land and call themselves "No thanks,We're sucking on the taxpayers wallet"....?

I was going to suggest "No thanks, we're vegan" but they seem to hate anything with 4 legs with a vengeance....
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

So on that train of thought should Predator Free NZ consider changing their name to Pest Control NZ or maybe step right out into honesty land and call themselves "No thanks,We're sucking on the taxpayers wallet"....?

I was going to suggest "No thanks, we're vegan" but they seem to hate anything with 4 legs with a vengeance....
    I have the same issue with the use of 'predator proof fence' in regards to fenced ecosanctuaries. When I wrote my zoology thesis that had to do with these fencing, I was inclined to use the words 'pest resistant fence' as the animals being excluded are not all predators, and pests do sometimes get in. The government makes all sorts of wild pie in the sky promises and of course as we have seen over and over again, they never get met or even go backwards. Genetic solutions to the pest issue can be researched, the issue is implementation and potential global consequences of implementation. Like if we somehow found a way to make all possums in NZ sterile, there is a problem if that spread over to Australia where possums are protected. I think it is impossible to restore New Zealand ecosystems back to what it was like before humans came, even just small sections of ecosystems on islands, which is unfortunate. But thats how life goes, things change. Just need to adapt in smart ways, not dogmatic ways.
    veitnamcam, viper, Phil_H and 2 others like this.

Hope you're not looking for a Govt job Jessica, you'll not get far being firmly rooted in reality, combined with a healthy dose of pragmatism
    veitnamcam, timattalon and Phil_H like this.

I think they need to have a major rethink on what they "think" they are going to achieve. If you really think about this Predator Free NZ and look at what it entails to get to this status it sure is Pie in the Sky thinking. Just think of the work required to get zero densities of Rats, that's what is required zero rats for it to be successful, that's only one pest then there are mice, Ferrets, stoats, weasels, and whatever else they decide needs to go. I think at best we should be managing these and other animals, NZ will never be like it once was the ecosystems have already evolved to coexist with Game animals. Mega bucks will be wasted chasing their tails trying to carry this wishful thinking out and in the end they will have to admit defeat. The money wasted would be far better put to use in schooling, health and poverty.
    veitnamcam and timattalon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I think they need to have a major rethink on what they "think" they are going to achieve. If you really think about this Predator Free NZ and look at what it entails to get to this status it sure is Pie in the Sky thinking. Just think of the work required to get zero densities of Rats, that's what is required zero rats for it to be successful, that's only one pest then there are mice, Ferrets, stoats, weasels, and whatever else they decide needs to go. I think at best we should be managing these and other animals, NZ will never be like it once was the ecosystems have already evolved to coexist with Game animals. Mega bucks will be wasted chasing their tails trying to carry this wishful thinking out and in the end they will have to admit defeat. The money wasted would be far better put to use in schooling, health and poverty.
    I agree completely and I said the same thing to my (and many other MPs) when discussing the then upcoming Arms law revamp and buy back...."The money wasted would be far better put to use in schooling, health and poverty." but to show I was not out of touch, I included roading and policing in there as well....They taxpayer is not rich- so the Govt has a LIMITED resource to allocate and it should be allocated where it can do the most good for the most people...
    veitnamcam and Mooseman like this.

I thought the original release was badly managed and with little control work?