Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 15 Post By mudgripz
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: A bunny shoot+ in Tekapo 2

A bunny shoot+ in Tekapo 2

I am firmly of the mind that any reason to visit Tekapo is a good reason. Delightful piece of NZ, and becoming a happy hunting ground for our shooting squad. We have shot heavily in north Canterbury over many years but are enjoying the invitation to expand into south Canterbury. What an amazingly beautiful province this is. Stunning.

Saturday morning we drove down to Tekapo from Chch, set up in one of Headcase's cabins, then headed out to recce a new station in the McKenzie country. Area we visited had been shot heavily, and poisoned, but boys still keen to get into bunnies, wallabies, and deer if they showed themselves. 223s, 204 Ruger, 22LRs and shotguns. With much to learn about station terrain and shooting conditions, we had a good look around, then by 5pm despatched Neil and Brian up separate valleys near the Haka Pass in search of wallabies and possible deer. Myself and AJ stayed in truck and wandered high country slopes covered in matagouri but with plenty of green grassed areas. Ideal wallaby and bunny country. It proved a delightful wee shoot for us - zero wallabies on our spot but quite a few bunnies. Got to use my new Marlin 795 semiauto which had been shooting superbly on the range (average of several groups 0.58" at 75m) - and it continued this precision in the field. Over 90% strike rate. Great to use the 22 again. AJ very sharp with his 223.

By 8.30pm AJ and I had shot 64 bunnies, and met up with other boys at arranged spot. Harder time for them but they had still managed 10 wallabies and a few bunnies in this first short look at part of the new block. We then setup for the nightshoot from the Cruiser with Maxtochs, 204 Ruger, 223 and shottie. Explored wide areas of typical McKenzie country, wandered big riverbeds and spent 2-3 hours covering new terrain. We wrapped it up before midnight with 152 varmints and headed home to Tekapo. Sunday morning we had a leisurely breakfast, packed up cabin and headed towards Chch. But on way out we popped in for short visit on a heavily shot bunny block nearby. Difficult shooting with VERY spooky rabbits and rising winds, but nonetheless boys popped another 28 in 1.5 hours.

Total for this recce trip 170 bunnies and 10 wallabies =180. Not high by past standards but boys all shot well, strike rates were good, and very few animals we aimed for escaped. Began to rain as we left the last Tekapo block, but smiles all round. Nobody cared. It had been another successful trip and with part of new station reconnaisance done, we're pretty sure we'll nail a hell of a lot more next time.

Thanks to Stephen (Headcase) at Tekapo cottages. A good spot to stay - free plug!

Name:  20211121_201441.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  3.64 MB

Brian (@gadgetman), Stephen (Headcase), Neil, AJ. And Cruiser full of weaponry - a greenie's delight...
    madjon_, Brian, gadgetman and 12 others like this.

now all you need is a .22magnum semi to match that .22lr...I just happen to know where one is in pristine condition...owner could have arm twisted to sell too.....
    RUMPY likes this.

Just sold a very accurate 22WMR, and still have two Marlin 795s and a very sharp Howa 223. Am quite interested in a little Marlin bolt action 17Mach 2 now that ammo is available again. $19 for 50 at Reloaders = near half price of 17HMR/22WMR.

Wouldn't mind having another play with one - had one few years back. Just a wee 22 case really but zero holdover out to 100+. We'll see...don't say its the most sensible option but its an itch I may need to scratch..

Such a lovely place. Looking forward to a return match. A lot of potential for some fun. Even spotted a fallow that spotted me first at about 20m.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

NEO
    It `s good to have access to a land. I like rabbits hunting and cooking in different cuisine. Just do ` t have place yet. Try to manage to find some in public land down there, but did `t find any that day.
    Lone Hunter

That was a pretty good effort for the short time you guys were there.

agreed

The 204 is deadly on varmints and pretty flat to 300 on the last trip took a rabbit at 229 yds first shot a wild cat at 200 not difficult with the 204 (easy enough with my.223 too !) but after 225yd the 204 shines !!