Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MB
  • 2 Post By Rushy

Thread: Cheap and easy torch/moderator glare fix

MB

Cheap and easy torch/moderator glare fix

I mounted a torch on to my scope for "lamping" bunnies. It worked really well apart from glare caused by light reflecting off the moderator. A quick Google revealed this to be a common problem. One of the solutions is to move the torch back as far as possible. I did this and it got rid of most, but not all of the reflected light.

Another trick is to put a bit of tape on the lower half of the scope objective. This worked, but I couldn't see myself fiddling around with bits of tape in the darkness, so I took a knife to a spare rubber scope lens protector for a more robust solution.

It's not pretty, but it works very well!

R93 likes this.

I just glued a piece of black rubber onto the back of the suppressor so it has an angle rather than a vertical surface facing the scope. What little light is reflected back goes up instead of into the scope. The other rifle (my 22) has the scope mounted under the barrel rather than on to and this avoids the problem all together. In my case it does not affect POI or accuracy but off the stock could work as well.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I just glued a piece of black rubber onto the back of the suppressor so it has an angle rather than a vertical surface facing the scope. What little light is reflected back goes up instead of into the scope. The other rifle (my 22) has the scope mounted under the barrel rather than on to and this avoids the problem all together. In my case it does not affect POI or accuracy but off the stock could work as well.
    How do you sight with the scope mounted under the barrel? That has to be as awkward as all hell.
    GWH and northdude like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

northdude
    i had that problem as well i mounted the light above the scope that fixed it as well

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I just glued a piece of black rubber onto the back of the suppressor so it has an angle rather than a vertical surface facing the scope. What little light is reflected back goes up instead of into the scope. The other rifle (my 22) has the torch mounted under the barrel rather than on to and this avoids the problem all together. In my case it does not affect POI or accuracy but off the stock could work as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    How do you sight with the scope mounted under the barrel? That has to be as awkward as all hell.
    Ooops. Proof reading helps... Fixed it. The torch is mounted under the barrel. Scope goes on top where its supposed to be.......

Cheers