Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: dial up scope for PCP? Dial the NZ options?

hills are steeper now

dial up scope for PCP? Dial the NV options, pard etc?

Hi all - loving the new .22 FX Dreamlite PCP. Put an old 2-7 scope on it, but as it is damn accurate out to 100 yards and has enough power for rabbits etc at that as well - thinking to get a decent scope and dial it. Zero at 30, it drops 14 inches at 100, so getting too hard to estimate that for rabbit sized targets hugging the dirt. 15 Ft lbs at that range so plenty or energy. No good in wind that far out (15 inches at 10 mph) but evenings usually pretty still.

Then I think that the next stage will be NV anyway, pard or sytong, and they have options with rangefinders built in? How does that work can you dial them, or is it simpler than that - or holdover? Any hints?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Northkiwi; 29-01-2022 at 08:08 PM. Reason: spelling

hills are steeper now
    Had a few views but no response so figure my English needs a rethink.

I’m keen to get any hints on dial up with pcp air rifles or maybe jump straight to a pard or sytong. But wondering if they have a dial up function to go with the rangefinder option?

If you have a rangefinder, a dial-up scope makes sense. All the scope options are available to you on a PCP, unlike a springer.
    There are multiple reticle choices on the digital NV scopes, and very little detail on the reticle. Pretty sure they will work when you verify the reticle graduations.

Sytong are coming out with balistic upgrade for their range finder models. The 3-8 model is by far the most popular.

hills are steeper now
    I’ve got a rangefinder and using that to get range and then using the Kentucky method…. Works ok to 60 or 70 yards but trajectory gets a bit steep after that. Hence thinking to dial it. But I can see that I’ll want NV before long as these rabbits already getting clued up. So sounds like I wait for the new sytong with rangefinder and ballistics built in….

Thanks.
    madjon_ and Moa Hunter like this.

I shoot commerically full time. I my PCP's for night shooting (mainly in urban areas) I'm currently using ATN 4K NV scopes. They have a FFP MOA/MRAD reticle option that is useful for long shots. You can add a bluetooth range finder to them the store you ballistic data in the unit and have it correct the reticle for your data.

The key thing for longer distance shooting (regarding if firearm) is know distance.
    Moa Hunter, T.FOYE and Billbob like this.

If looking for day scopes, Element are pretty hard to look past. Value had value for money. I have both a Helix and a Titan that I use on some jobs and for match shooting.

+1 for the Sytong 3-8 HT60 lrf. I put one on my Edgun Matador and absolutely love it! Comfortable taking shots on rabbits out to 100m with it and I've only had it a few weeks, looking forward to the ballistics calculator software update so I can push the shots out even further.

hills are steeper now
    Cheers Mintie. I see the Sytong is 3x power, and that anything up from there is digital zoom. How do you find the resolution when zoomed up to 8x? Still nice and clear? Also am I right to think you range the target and get that reading, and then manually "dial" the scope itself? I.e. no connection in the unit between the range and the ballistics? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Northkiwi View Post
    Cheers Mintie. I see the Sytong is 3x power, and that anything up from there is digital zoom. How do you find the resolution when zoomed up to 8x? Still nice and clear? Also am I right to think you range the target and get that reading, and then manually "dial" the scope itself? I.e. no connection in the unit between the range and the ballistics? Thanks
    The digital zoom on these is pretty good, the sensor resolution is pretty high at 1920x1080 so zooming in is fine, not like some of the cheaper thermal units that typically only have a 380x280 pixels sensor - zooming in on that is terrible!

The ballistics calculator is a software update coming coming soon, hoping it will more or less be like the burns Eliminator or Sig BDX system where you range it and it moves the reticle to the correct aim point for that range. Too easy

hills are steeper now
    Spoke to someone who thought they had got the last possum around their house using spotlights. Then he got a thermal, and within 2 weeks had shot 50 within 200m, mostly hiding in totara's. Maybe it is worth saving up for thermal, or would he have got most of the 50 with NV?
    Carbine likes this.

There are lots of ways to approach this. I'll tell you how i do my distance corrections. I work with holdover on a mildot reticle. I use the Optisan 10x32 CP scope and ballistic free software by Hawke. You choose your favorite pellet and enter all the variables into the software. It will give you a pretty good approximation of the pellet trajectory. I tune the pellet trajectory in the software with the scope height value for the shorter distances and with the BC value for the longer distances. When you have got your correct values in the software you can print a reticle with your corrections for different range increments. I stick the print to the scope. Now, if you use a laser range finder in the field to measure the distance, you read the mildot correction from the print and correct for distance without touching the turrets. Once you have set everything up, it's quick and easy.
    Mooseman, Daniel L and kruza like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 55six View Post
    Sytong are coming out with balistic upgrade for their range finder models. The 3-8 model is by far the most popular.
    Any update on when the ballistics upgrade will be released for HT60LRF?

I'm not sure about the availability over in NZ , but there's a lot of noise being made in regards to the new Pard DS35.
    Digital day/night scope with built in LRF and ballistics calculator , may fit your purpose , similar money to buying a Helix and an add-on .
    Last edited by PipIstrelle; 04-01-2023 at 07:54 PM.

I use a Hawke 4x12 that has a Christmas tree reticle, coupled with the ballistic app Strelok pro{12.99} and JSB slugs it's a serious rifle on small game. I don't normally dial if the scope has a reticle that's in Strelok, it'll show you exactly where to hold. Strelok has the option of a rabbit target for scale to aid in rangefinding.
    FX Dreamline laminate, 177 with a DonnyFL moderator.
    Shown with a Leupold 6x18 I use when shooting silhouette.