Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Spook
  • 1 Post By Scribe

Thread: Dog tukka

Dog tukka

Hey guys
    going out to hopefully bowl a few hares or rabbits today. just wondering is rabbit and hare meat all good to feed to my little Labrador pup. just would hate to get my little mate sick off it . cheers

Eat the hares yourself.
    Backstraps better than venison.Too good for the dog

SiB
    I always freeze for a week at least first like mutton kill. You know you can feed raw carcass ok? Best from frozen let them chew on it. Never never feed cooked with bones.

Our dogs get rabbit,hare and veal and is taken out of the freezer about an hour before they are fed.And milk given to them regularly.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

It's a lab, it can and will eat anything...just make sure it's feeding bowl is wider than it's mouth or that will go as well. My lab will eat complete fish frames, possums (fur an all)...the only thing it wont eat on a possum is the front teeth of the bottom jaw and the claws.
    Toby likes this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Fulla
    mine gets them all the time, bones and all. no feet skin head or gut though. they don't normally get as far as the freezer.
    I did buy a mincer off trade me, and mince bones and all. that's good no chance of a bone going down the wrong way, yet still all the goodness. which would be great for your pup.
    possums too. usually plucked but still got the skin on. I was told never leave the possums feet on because of the claws, I guess they might get stuck.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    mine gets them all the time, bones and all. no feet skin head or gut though. they don't normally get as far as the freezer.
    I did buy a mincer off trade me, and mince bones and all. that's good no chance of a bone going down the wrong way, yet still all the goodness. which would be great for your pup.
    possums too. usually plucked but still got the skin on. I was told never leave the possums feet on because of the claws, I guess they might get stuck.
    'bully' I think the possum claw warning was more pertinent to the old days when you took your dog down to the strip for dosing. The purge they gave the dog made the dog excrete possum claws, bones and such thing before the stomach acid softened them up. So there was an increased risk of a perforated bowel.

A few years back at the end of the season I decided to lay up a supply of possum carcases for the summer. I cut the claws off a heap of possums which made a fair old pile and then forgot about them and buggered off to do something else. When I got back my gutsy Lab had swallowed the lot. I studied her for a couple of days. There were no ill effects at all.

But in saying that, when you feel how sharp those claws are. I still take them off the carcases.
    bully likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Our dogs get rabbit,hare and veal and is taken out of the freezer about an hour before they are fed.And milk given to them regularly.
    Yea thats what i was thinking of doing. Would you have to cut it into small chunks or just meal sized steaks and ect. Also trying to source a wild goat or someones unwanted sheep ect so i can do the same. Saves a bit on dog biscuits when ur a student though. Cheers

Was gonna feed it raw if thats what you mean. My mum wasnt too keen on the idea of rabbits going into her good pots.

^^^ reply to " SiB " ^^^

cant edit posts on my phone