Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Empty rimfire cases

Empty rimfire cases

Hey all,

I've been shooting magpies from one spot out of a barn and the cases are starting to build up. It got me thinking about how many 17HMR and 22LR cases I just throw away.

Is there anything you can do with them? recycling kinda deal

The metal recyclers will take the brass. You will need to shoot a lot of rimfire ammo to get $10 back tho.

You can reload them for something to do on wet days.
    Gapped axe and northdude like this.
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

Ejected
    You can form then unto copper jackets for 223 projectors if you are bored enough.
    Carpe Diem likes this.

guess I just continue to forget about them and be thankfully I don't need to hunt for them like centerfire

res
    I try and collect them up and put them in a bin with all my other brass that's at the end of its life-every so often I recycle it, either by selling to scrap merchants or by melting it and casting silly little figurines my sister sells on etsy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gapped axe and Tombi like this.
    Using Tapatalk

reload rimfire?

I plant them where they fall, will harvest the fruit next year when it gets to the right calibre!
    WallyR likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    reload rimfire?
    It can be done but a lot of screwing around.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

ouch but at the insane price of 17hmr it may become worth it one day. apparently one of the powders is Lilgun?

Will have to look at how to prime them, lead styphnate is nasty shit.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    ouch but at the insane price of 17hmr it may become worth it one day. apparently one of the powders is Lilgun?

Will have to look at how to prime them, lead styphnate is nasty shit.
    Ya make a paste out of the stuff ya mentioned or self striking match heads to prime iirc.

A lot of mucking around and I dunno who would make the die set.

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Ya make a paste out of the stuff ya mentioned or self striking match heads to prime iirc.

there was a guy on eBay selling dies etc, I bought one of them and loaded a total of 4 rounds(one batch of matchead primer compound) before I realised there were much better things to do with my time! was a interesting exercise and works out very cheep if you have free lead but takes forever. I still had issues getting the primer everywhere it needs to go to be reliable,and of course there is still the dead spot on the rim from the first use.I fired them from a bolt gun so I could line up the firing pin with a supposedly good part of the rim-did think that for semi use you would need to use a gervarm or the like to make sure you got a hit on a good spot. I used trail boss for powder.
    Using Tapatalk

res
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post

there was a guy on eBay selling dies etc, I bought one of them and loaded a total of 4 rounds(one batch of matchead primer compound) before I realised there were much better things to do with my time! was a interesting exercise and works out very cheep if you have free lead but takes forever. I still had issues getting the primer everywhere it needs to go to be reliable,and of course there is still the dead spot on the rim from the first use.I fired them from a bolt gun so I could line up the firing pin with a supposedly good part of the rim-did think that for semi use you would need to use a gervarm or the like to make sure you got a hit on a good spot. I used trail boss for powder.
    R93 likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Pistol club we got a bunch of 22 brass and got 100 bucks for it - metal prices are lower now so best just save it.
    McCauleys in Seaview pays the best price usually

I'd not be to keen to reload .17 hmr saw what one of those little suckers did to some guys rifle that was brought into my gunsmith
    The first round split at the neck which caused the bullet to not exit the barrel. He said it still made a bang and he though he had miss so reloaded and fired again. Lucky it was a cz as the blow back through the gase ports on the bolt took his eye brows off and destroyed his jacket and the roof lining of his truck (he was spotlighting)
    Did some research on it. Found out that because it's a neck done .22 mag they can't anneal the case which causes all the drama.
    Spoke to my neighbor who has one and he fished out his factory ammo.
    We saw that around 8 to 9 per packet had splits in the neck and this is factory ammo

Think I'll stick with my .22mag thanks.

All my old brass goes in my my plumbing scrap