Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Cooee

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: finally set some traps.

finally set some traps.

managed to get weather and no other jobs to do to get out and try some possum trapping. what a shambles run out of lure so quick trip back to nearest store. set 54 last night . camped up then realised I had taken out the food bag and left at home as well as inflatable mattress so an uncomfortable sleep in the ute deck . nice and warm in the sleeping bag but a good frost and the redbands took a bit of walking for them to fit . all this for a dismal 2 , one had a joey so 3 really.set a couple more traps till no lure left . back tomorrow to set some more and see if i can improve on 2. now to hang up my tiny bit of fur and find all my missing gear.

Haha!

Move to Auckland, I set 11 and got 5!
    Land of opportunities right here mate!

Some pretty big two legged possums to watch out for though
    chainsaw and berg243 like this.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    Haha!

But being Southland only 2 possums but saw 15 deer
    Russian 22. and kukuwai like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    Haha!

How many possums per kg of fur 40mm ? From what i have seen of possums up north I would think 2 of Bergs would be equal to your 5 ? When i first travelled Northland roads i thought that there were shitloads of juvenile possums up there, but they were all adults. They were tiny compared to high country possums in Canty.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr300WSM View Post
    But being Southland only 2 possums but saw 15 deer
    nah the deer where not keen on coming out. maybe later in the week i hope.

MSL
    Did you do any pre feeding? What’s the lure that you ran out of? I had great success with flour and aniseed essence in a detergent bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    berg243 likes this.

didnt pre feed, what do you pre feed with ? using flour with some icing sugar and a bit of cinnamon. cant find any aniseed yet.just about to head back up to see if i have anymore.

Laminar
    Highest catch is normally day/night 3 on a line. Unless you crack a party tree in which case it's one every night until they're gone.

A flour strike/blaze works fine. Generally only a fistful for a tree though so don't know how you run out. Scent is a bonus.

Northland you can plan on 20+ coons for kg of fur.

Are you trapping on good sign? Runs, bark damage, scat?
    - Probably taking the piss
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

met a trapper once, he recons flour and a bit of curie powder is the way to go for the old pos.
    trapperjohn likes this.

no tree bears today. they ate some of the lure in several places but didnt step on the plate.set a few more today . sheep where put into the block after i scouted and have made it impossible to see the runs that where well evident when I first looked . thinking i maybe setting traps too close to trees and posts and they might be leaning over them. will move them back about 75mm tomorrow and will spend most of the night walking around to gauge numbers. hopefully there might be a deer wandering around to make up for my bad trapping.

Yes you should definitely put out pre feed, this will draw possums to your line, put plenty out. Beeman uses pre feed pellets or pig pellets , maize is another good one but he adds cinnamon lure and not the cheap watered down stuff. Mix it up several days even weeks before using so it soaks in well. Target your catch trees, ones with bark biting also runs which are quite obvious once you know what your looking for. We find after two pre feeds we usually get the best catch on the first night and then other nights it drops off a bit.If the area has been done before your catch rate won't hold very long . Are you in native or pines, we hunt the pines mostly but generally native will hold more possums. When you set your trap use plenty of lured flour with cinnamon if that what your pre feed was and rub a 3-4 foot blaze of flour lure up the tree in line with your trap. Make sure your traps are stable on the ground when set other wise possums may trip them off and not get caught. We usually set on a Monday then pull them all out before the weekend on a Friday this gives us 4 nights and by then numbers have dropped off dramatically. Hope this helps good luck and look forward to further reports.

When you set your trap place it about the width of your had about four fingers from the base of the tree, hopefully you will get a front leg catch as they come up to check the lure out.
    BeeMan and berg243 like this.

got 4 tree bears yesterday and 5 today. have set them for one more night.stayed last night in the hotel triton , in the back room. no bloody heat though .when i checked temp gauge about an hour after rising it was up to -5 and got up to -3 by 10 am. gas cooker didnt like it , normally boils the kettle in about 3 mins but i had time to go check the closest 6 traps before i had to shake the gas canister for about 2 minutes to get my cup of coffee.last photo was at 10 when refilling lure bottle.Name:  IMG_0133.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  108.7 KBName:  IMG_0134.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  129.6 KBName:  IMG_0138.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  98.0 KB

Nice , looks cold I bet those possums are well furred in those temps

yes a bit of fur but a couple where a bit scruffy from rolling round in the dirt and beech leaves.