Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: finally set some traps.

Holy heck that looks cold, my hands would take a while to warm up before being able to pluck. I think I could cope with views like that though.

strangely enough when I used traps as a teenager I didnt use lure AT ALL..... just set on runs or preacching trees,normal night would see 30-50% of traps have a customer awaiting cranial surgery...run through a fence was my favourite place to set trap...

Quote Originally Posted by homebrew.357 View Post
    met a trapper once, he recons flour and a bit of curie powder is the way to go for the old pos.
    Curry powder is favorite of mine,
    also those fancy little atomiser bottles of scent with french writing on that the wife keeps in the bathroom are also good for attacting possums.
    berg243 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    strangely enough when I used traps as a teenager I didnt use lure AT ALL..... just set on runs or preacching trees,normal night would see 30-50% of traps have a customer awaiting cranial surgery...run through a fence was my favourite place to set trap...
    when i scoped the place out there was plenty of runs but the neighbour put his sheep in there for a week and now you cant see most of the runs.

look along fencelines...the spot they go under or through bottom 2 wires is usually pretty clear cut,if you look from the bush side by leaning over you should still be able to work out where the hole will be and trap should be set...I used to dig small depression with cranial surgery implement and set trap down level with ground with light sprinkling of soil over the top...if ground is soft enough you can push unset trap down and then set it off to side and place it back where you want it.

3 more today and pulled all the traps. will scope out somewhere closer to home next week. will update when i get a new lie out.
    Mooseman and Micky Duck like this.

dismal 3 days trapping in a blue gum block for a return of 3 possums.moving to another blue gum block next week , hopefully a bit better than the last one.

My rule of thumb, is if the traps don't catch at least 30% on a fine night go somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    dismal 3 days trapping in a blue gum block for a return of 3 possums.moving to another blue gum block next week , hopefully a bit better than the last one.
    Blue gum blocks dont have nest sites for possums or much tucker generally. Food source, nest sites, open play areas all required. Some species of gums are attractive to possums but right now they will be on the willows. Last month when the pines were 'in pollen' they would all be there.
    'Bother' said Pooh, as he chambered another round ... Wong Far King Way

got 4 blue gum blocks of a forest company to trap . was going to go up into a doc block but it snowed a couple weeks ago so just waiting for a bit more warmth before going there.

If there is a creek with willows within a km of their nests thats were they will be going to

block i was just on had no real sleeping places and no feed. was no sign , the ones i got where on the boundary that had a shelterbelt of macs on the neighbours side. hopefully next block has some native or other trees on the boundary.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    block i was just on had no real sleeping places and no feed. was no sign , the ones i got where on the boundary that had a shelterbelt of macs on the neighbours side. hopefully next block has some native or other trees on the boundary.
    Have a look for territorial bite marks on trees along the runs. Possums will play under gums but unless they are a palatable variety they wont be there. Try a pre-feed along the gum boundary if you are being paid to trap them

not getting paid for trapping , fur recovery and a few carcases for dog meat only . no bite marks , runs or shit at all.

Try and get to that native block you may have a better chance there, otherwise target the willows and poplars as they come into bud.
    berg243 likes this.