Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Flyblown

Thread: Fox whistles - for cats

Fox whistles - for cats

Fellas

A South African mate of mine who now lives in Tassie thought he would do the environment a good service, so he went online and bought himself a fox whistle and off he went to shoot a fox with his .204 just like all the YouTube vids he’d been watching. Being a complete knob he was totally unaware that there aren’t any foxes in Tasmania, and the Tassie blokes at the office elected not to tell him that. (I am told they were wetting themselves the bastards... would have been damn funny though.) My mate went off with his chick and hoped to come home with a good representative Tasmanian “brush”.

Anyway, imagine their surprise when after a long and foxless while, this feral cat pitched up, clearly attraced to the whistle, whereupon it copped a dose of high velocity Nosler. Back at the office, after much mirth and piss taking, the cat story caught the Tassie boys attention, so together they went to a likely spot near an old mine, now overgrown and rabbit infested.

I am told they whistled in half a dozen cats, all shot. It was so successful, that there’s a small posse of fox whistling cat hunters in Rosebery now. I am curious to know if any of you have tried this over here? Ferals cats are one of the absolute best damn varmints to hunt, always feels bloody great when I get a couple of cats.

If you have tried it successfully, which whistle did you use? Any stories to share?
    40mm likes this.

I had a go at one of those bastards today, but didn't get a shot off.
    Looking for a fox whistle in about 30 seconds....
    Use enough gun

Use enough gun

Gone but not forgotten
    I have whistled in a hind from a neighbouring property using the grass between the thumbs trick. A mate who grew up in Scotland told me how they used to use it to do deer population counts. It sounds quite a lot like a rabbit in distress so might work on cat's too.