Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Knives Africa


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By GWH
  • 1 Post By kotuku

Thread: Habits of Goats

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    26

    Question Habits of Goats

    Hi guys,

    I'm keen to learn more about the behaviour/habits of goats. Esp what they like and don't like.
    What sort of land do they like / not like? I assume like a lot of animals they like sunny spots? Do they like hanging around in one spot or are they constantly on the move? Any favourite foods?
    Any thoughts, experience, advice would be much appreciated; as a new guy I'm trying to increase my knowledge.
    Cheers!

  2. #2
    Member Marty Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tararua
    Posts
    2,261
    A good place to start would be the doc hunting permit application website, theres a section attached on what to hunt that covers goats habits and range quite well. Other species are also covered if they are of interest.
    Cordite likes this.

  3. #3
    Sending it Gibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Hill
    Posts
    19,177
    Yip as Marty says. At the end of the day they are pretty dumb, if there's grub and cover they will be happy, once established it takes a fair bit to eradicate them. They breed like rabbits too. Far easier to stalk in on that a deer. Actually they often see you and stand there eating And with a bit of wind any billy within a fair distance will arouse the nose quite easily.

    Feral goats: What to hunt
    Werawhakaui?

    Rule 4. Identify your target beyond all doubt.

  4. #4
    Member Marty Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tararua
    Posts
    2,261

    Red face Old goat

    Wish I could do that link thing, guess that means I must be an old goat not being able to do this interface thingie, but dont think of stalking me as this old goat can biteback
    Gibo likes this.

  5. #5
    Member oneshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Upper Hutt
    Posts
    751
    Very social critters, love the sun and dry clay pans to lie about on, bleat a lot especially the kids, like to eat every bit of green stuff they can reach. Big billys are usually more solitary unless shagging the nannies. they smell bad ( you will smell them before you see them ). A little bit like sheep were as you start bombing a mob from a good distance they will follow the lead nanny for direction, unless they are shot at on a regular.
    Stupid Fu**ers and they can have really pretty skins for tanning, if you can get the stink out.
    samusugiru likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

  6. #6
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    1,926
    they hate rain, usually run uphill when threatened.

  7. #7
    Member Cordite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NZ Mainland
    Posts
    1,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    they hate rain, usually run uphill when threatened.
    @Micky Duck

    They're much like us, huh?
    Guns don't kill people - drivers do.

  8. #8
    GWH
    GWH is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    2,524
    I've heard plenty of farmers say they like having goats on their land, as they eat all the black berry and gorse etc.

    But in my experience if there's better tucker around they'll eat that first.

    These goats were coming down and eating the Oats crop every day.

    https://youtu.be/eGJu2UziiXI
    veitnamcam likes this.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    spreydon christcurch.
    Posts
    3,272
    my brother whose a vet has a pet theory about people from out rangiora way who have a specific way of interacting with goats.however when he states this on his particular forum ,they seem to get a tad excited and bounce back quite vigorouslyIm not sure if this involves back legs in gumboots or attached to a fence
    Didnt i also read somewher a drone got a phot of old osama bin laden(AKA Osama now dead)with trou round ankles telling a cute little nanny goat to "Back up backup"
    OK enough facetiousness - Im told young goat is very nice eating.
    here in greymouth ,or specifically cobden theres a mob of ferals grazing beside the road by Kells hotel-they live in the hills around the old quarry.local natives very protective!this same location once had a pet chamois too till it went AWOL under extremely suspect circumstances.
    A330driver likes this.

  10. #10
    MIA somewhere in Nam 300CALMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Reluctantly JAFA
    Posts
    3,135
    Quote Originally Posted by samusugiru View Post
    Hi guys,

    I'm keen to learn more about the behaviour/habits of goats. Esp what they like and don't like.
    What sort of land do they like / not like? I assume like a lot of animals they like sunny spots? Do they like hanging around in one spot or are they constantly on the move? Any favourite foods?
    Any thoughts, experience, advice would be much appreciated; as a new guy I'm trying to increase my knowledge.
    Cheers!
    Take your ghetto blaster gOATS like AC/DC

  11. #11
    Member doinit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Buller Westcoast.
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    my brother whose a vet has a pet theory about people from out rangiora way who have a specific way of interacting with goats.however when he states this on his particular forum ,they seem to get a tad excited and bounce back quite vigorouslyIm not sure if this involves back legs in gumboots or attached to a fence
    Didnt i also read somewher a drone got a phot of old osama bin laden(AKA Osama now dead)with trou round ankles telling a cute little nanny goat to "Back up backup"
    OK enough facetiousness - Im told young goat is very nice eating.
    here in greymouth ,or specifically cobden theres a mob of ferals grazing beside the road by Kells hotel-they live in the hills around the old quarry.local natives very protective!this same location once had a pet chamois too till it went AWOL under extremely suspect circumstances.
    Yeah everytime I drive into Grey I keep an eye out for those goats,,cracks me up when they are looking in someones window,quiet all right.
    It is a piss of about that Chamois eh,seen it twice.
    And yip goat is great eating,pick the right one and your in....ask the Gimp he likes a good feed too.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    hokitika
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by doinit View Post
    Yeah everytime I drive into Grey I keep an eye out for those goats,,cracks me up when they are looking in someones window,quiet all right.
    It is a piss of about that Chamois eh,seen it twice.
    And yip goat is great eating,pick the right one and your in....ask the Gimp he likes a good feed too.
    There's a heap through there, they come right down to my workshop on the kaiata straight


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

  13. #13
    Member doinit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Buller Westcoast.
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    There's a heap through there, they come right down to my workshop on the kaiata straight


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shit Smiddy I was thinking I might call into your work shop but after seeing the bit about silly old c**ts,I'm not that sure I should eh lol.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    spreydon christcurch.
    Posts
    3,272
    BBQat your workshop then smiddy -nice leg of young roast kid taken with .223 lure -what more could a bloke ask??

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Canada habits
    By Kooza in forum Game Bird Hunting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19-05-2016, 11:30 PM
  2. Goats in the bop
    By JaydenMcN in forum Hunting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-12-2015, 08:52 PM
  3. Un safety habits taught at Gun City.
    By 257weatherby in forum Firearm Safety
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 02-03-2015, 01:56 PM
  4. First goats.
    By possum trapper in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 19-02-2014, 05:32 PM
  5. Tahr habits this time of year
    By paddygonebush in forum Hunting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-01-2013, 03:33 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!