Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By GWH
  • 1 Post By kotuku

Thread: Habits of Goats

Question Habits of Goats

Hi guys,

I'm keen to learn more about the behaviour/habits of goats. Esp what they like and don't like.
    What sort of land do they like / not like? I assume like a lot of animals they like sunny spots? Do they like hanging around in one spot or are they constantly on the move? Any favourite foods?
    Any thoughts, experience, advice would be much appreciated; as a new guy I'm trying to increase my knowledge.
    Cheers!

A good place to start would be the doc hunting permit application website, theres a section attached on what to hunt that covers goats habits and range quite well. Other species are also covered if they are of interest.
    Cordite likes this.

Yip as Marty says. At the end of the day they are pretty dumb, if there's grub and cover they will be happy, once established it takes a fair bit to eradicate them. They breed like rabbits too. Far easier to stalk in on that a deer. Actually they often see you and stand there eating And with a bit of wind any billy within a fair distance will arouse the nose quite easily.

Feral goats: What to hunt

Red face Old goat

Wish I could do that link thing, guess that means I must be an old goat not being able to do this interface thingie, but dont think of stalking me as this old goat can biteback
    Gibo likes this.

Very social critters, love the sun and dry clay pans to lie about on, bleat a lot especially the kids, like to eat every bit of green stuff they can reach. Big billys are usually more solitary unless shagging the nannies. they smell bad ( you will smell them before you see them ). A little bit like sheep were as you start bombing a mob from a good distance they will follow the lead nanny for direction, unless they are shot at on a regular.
    Stupid Fu**ers and they can have really pretty skins for tanning, if you can get the stink out.
    samusugiru likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

they hate rain, usually run uphill when threatened.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    they hate rain, usually run uphill when threatened.
    @Micky Duck

They're much like us, huh?
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

GWH
    I've heard plenty of farmers say they like having goats on their land, as they eat all the black berry and gorse etc.

But in my experience if there's better tucker around they'll eat that first.

These goats were coming down and eating the Oats crop every day.

https://youtu.be/eGJu2UziiXI
    veitnamcam likes this.

my brother whose a vet has a pet theory about people from out rangiora way who have a specific way of interacting with goats.however when he states this on his particular forum ,they seem to get a tad excited and bounce back quite vigorouslyIm not sure if this involves back legs in gumboots or attached to a fence
    Didnt i also read somewher a drone got a phot of old osama bin laden(AKA Osama now dead)with trou round ankles telling a cute little nanny goat to "Back up backup"
    OK enough facetiousness - Im told young goat is very nice eating.
    here in greymouth ,or specifically cobden theres a mob of ferals grazing beside the road by Kells hotel-they live in the hills around the old quarry.local natives very protective!this same location once had a pet chamois too till it went AWOL under extremely suspect circumstances.
    A330driver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by samusugiru View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm keen to learn more about the behaviour/habits of goats. Esp what they like and don't like.
    What sort of land do they like / not like? I assume like a lot of animals they like sunny spots? Do they like hanging around in one spot or are they constantly on the move? Any favourite foods?
    Any thoughts, experience, advice would be much appreciated; as a new guy I'm trying to increase my knowledge.
    Cheers!
    Take your ghetto blaster gOATS like AC/DC

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    my brother whose a vet has a pet theory about people from out rangiora way who have a specific way of interacting with goats.however when he states this on his particular forum ,they seem to get a tad excited and bounce back quite vigorouslyIm not sure if this involves back legs in gumboots or attached to a fence
    Didnt i also read somewher a drone got a phot of old osama bin laden(AKA Osama now dead)with trou round ankles telling a cute little nanny goat to "Back up backup"
    OK enough facetiousness - Im told young goat is very nice eating.
    here in greymouth ,or specifically cobden theres a mob of ferals grazing beside the road by Kells hotel-they live in the hills around the old quarry.local natives very protective!this same location once had a pet chamois too till it went AWOL under extremely suspect circumstances.
    Yeah everytime I drive into Grey I keep an eye out for those goats,,cracks me up when they are looking in someones window,quiet all right.
    It is a piss of about that Chamois eh,seen it twice.
    And yip goat is great eating,pick the right one and your in....ask the Gimp he likes a good feed too.

Quote Originally Posted by doinit View Post
    Yeah everytime I drive into Grey I keep an eye out for those goats,,cracks me up when they are looking in someones window,quiet all right.
    It is a piss of about that Chamois eh,seen it twice.
    And yip goat is great eating,pick the right one and your in....ask the Gimp he likes a good feed too.
    There's a heap through there, they come right down to my workshop on the kaiata straight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    There's a heap through there, they come right down to my workshop on the kaiata straight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shit Smiddy I was thinking I might call into your work shop but after seeing the bit about silly old c**ts,I'm not that sure I should eh lol.

BBQat your workshop then smiddy -nice leg of young roast kid taken with .223 lure -what more could a bloke ask??