Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hornet brass

hornet brass

I am a relatively new user of the 22 hornet, when I tried to trim the cases i noticed the flash hole is smaller in some cases, my LEE trimmer does not fit thru this smaller flash hole, would it be a problem to drill this out to suit, I haven't noticed any difference in the performance in the brass with the smaller flash hole. , anyone struck this before?

You would be better off thinning the pin on the trimmer with some wet and dry, It can be tricky drill out flash holes
    another option is to get a Flash hole deburring tool it will clean up the burr inside the case could be all the problem is.

Just drill out the flash holes to the same diameter as the main bunch, assuming they are all the same brand. If you have more than one brand (PPU are reputed to be the best Hornet brass after RWS) and one brand has small flash holes, then uniform that brand with the smallest drill that will fit all of the flash holesl. A smaller flash hole is a good thing, but mixed size flash holes in the same brand of brass is not a good thing because it leads to less than uniform velocity. However, your resizing die will stick in smaller flash holes unless you make the primer ejecting pin smaller in diameter. A well-designed flash hole tool is available from SinclairInternational in the States (this uniforms the flash hole and takes off the burr on the flash hole inside the case) but the postage is a bit eye-watering. It is all compromises, especially when trying for accuracy with the Hornet.

northdude
    i use a lyman flash hole deburer ive come across s&b brass where the flash hole wasn't in the centre of the pocket and was breaking off my decapping pin I use highland brass in both my hornets with 35gr vmax

thanks for that, I have mixed brass, so will have to sort in to brands I suppose and check the primer hole sizing , you are right some of the primers dont decap well, which must the the smaller flash hole brass. makes sense now .