Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: How do you prep your bunnies for dog tucker?

How do you prep your bunnies for dog tucker?

How do you all prep your bunnies for dog tucker? With possums we just collected the fur and removed the claws and left the dogs to it out in the paddock. We have a big rabbit problem on our farm and have been picking a bunch off every few days. If we take our young dog along she grabs them for us and will pretty much just help herself to them if allowed. Sorry to sound dumb but Should we be gutting, removing the feet or anything first? Is it ok for them to be eating rabbits often? We have enough rabbits around to feed the dogs every day
    Also for those that sell rabbits To dog tucker people how are they meant to be prepped for the buyer? Do you just freeze them until you have X amount for the buyer?

Gut, skin, chop head and paws off, chop into half, throw to the dogs
    Chelsea likes this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Selling for pet food is very different.
    Gut and cool as quickly as poss. In summer you have about 2hrs to chill them before they turn bad. Winter about 4hrs.
    Don't freeze them. They want them fresh. You have a very short window to get them to the processor.
    Chelsea likes this.

If our dog gets fresh rabbit and he does from time to time, then he'll need worming.
    I gut and only take the best for meat, we uses it in many ways!, baits for pest control, wife cooks it and throws it to the chooks, feed the owls.
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....tml#post939279
    KH
    Chelsea likes this.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

my dogs eat the lot...if they go in house gutting the rabbits first reduces the fart factor.....one dog will eat heads and feet the other likes them removed and bunny naked.
    Moa Hunter, Chelsea and mimms2 like this.

I guy I shoot for runs 15 - 20 dogs so dog tucker is always an on going issue, any I shoot with a 10 min drive to his place I throw in a bin and drop off.
    He skins them and guts them, then freezes for 3 days to kill the worms.
    I knew possums were bad for worms but never really realized rabbits carry plenty also .
    Dama dama, Sparrow and Chelsea like this.

Mate throws them straight into the freezer then, later, chops them in half with an axe and gives them to the dogs.

I have two cats who love rabbit meat so I just cut off the back wheels and give them to the cats as they come. Cats meet me at the door every time I go shooting.

If I get a good one... it goes in the slow cooker and the cats go hungry.
    Sparrow and Chelsea like this.

Rabbit is too lean for dogs. Possum is good. I do pet food. Guts(paunch, runners n asshole out). Head n feet off. I deliver frozen to buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter and Chelsea like this.

Caretaker
    Name:  B57C4F46-6EFE-41E9-B812-40B59E085174.jpeg
Views: 895
Size:  842.2 KB
    veitnamcam, yogi, mikee and 8 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Banned
    Small cut across the centre of the back, makes skin into two opposed socks. Stand on head pull skin off backlegs and feet, turn around head upwards, stand on back feet pull skin to base of ears, cut ear cartilage, pull skin off head. To gut, split from arse through pelvis to diaphragm in one cut pull out stomach and intestines, leave everything forward of the diaphragm for the dog.
    mikee and Chelsea like this.

Thanks all. Just got 4 yesterday so left the dogs to them out in the paddock. Younger dog manages to pretty much eat the entire thing and leaves the skin/fur and head. Older dog like to pretty much eat the whole bottom half. I’ll try and prep the bigger bunnies but we do get quiet a few smaller ones that I’ll probably just give them whole out in the paddock. I’m not brave enough to eat them. We laid bait down mid last year which done nothing so have resorted to just picking them off. Gives us and the kids something to do and if we can feed the dogs at the same time it’s a bonus. Was thinking of finding a dog food buyer but we probably can’t get the numbers for fresh pick up and it’s probably not worth the time.

I prepare rabbits for my dog by shooting them, she's to old to catch them herself.
    Chelsea and mimms2 like this.

Tularemia

Does anyone have a definitive yes / no on the presence of tularemia in the NZ wild rabbit population ? In the northern hemisphere gloves appear mandatory for handling the bunnies.
    mimms2 likes this.

Me thinks someone with good video skills needs to do an updated video of rabbit prep, the ones on line are getting dated.
    canross likes this.
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Does anyone have a definitive yes / no on the presence of tularemia in the NZ wild rabbit population ? In the northern hemisphere gloves appear mandatory for handling the bunnies.
    From what I understand its either very rare or non existent here in NZ. Haven't found any mention of it being found here.

Edit:
    https://dermnetnz.org/topics/tularaemia/