Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Chelsea
  • 1 Post By Russian 22.
  • 1 Post By Bill999
  • 1 Post By Chelsea

Thread: Little puppa got her first possum!

Little puppa got her first possum!

We have a little kelpie x bitsa everything, we rescued her after she was dumped at 8 weeks. I posted about her before. She’s been a real handful but slowly getting there. She LOVES going bush, LOVES the gun and LOVES to run. We are on a new farm and they dogs are not aloud to run on the farm so i take them up Thompson’s and the tuahu tracks 3 times a week. Our old boy found a possum and she got it. Her first one. I was absolutely stoked. I made the dogs leave it behind and wasn’t sure what to do with the carcass. Seems a waste. The husband has done a fair bit of trapping for fur before and our old boy is brilliant at getting possums so I was wondering what should I do next time we go out if they get one? Pluck it? Keep the body and collect and freeze them for a buyer? Will they be fine to sell even though the dogs have got them and punctured them? Is there a big enough market? Iv never done possums myself but it was quiet exciting and I’d love to do it more often with the dogs and not traps, I can’t bring myself knock them on the head when trapped.
    northdude likes this.

Pluck the fur while it is still hot. Whack in a bag and when you have a kilo then yah should get 120 bucks or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Pluck the fur while it is still hot. Whack in a bag and when you have a kilo then yah should get 120 bucks or so.
    Would the dog drool not make it worthless? What should I do with the body’s? Keep them to sell or biff them in the river for the eels?

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsea View Post
    Would the dog drool not make it worthless? What should I do with the body’s? Keep them to sell or biff them in the river for the eels?
    The fur will dry eventually if you lay it out on a bit of cardboard away from where the dogs can get it.

Selling them has restrictions. Best off cutting the tail and claws off and feeding it to the dogs.

Or bury it in the garden.

Or just feed it to the eels.
    Chelsea likes this.

its not the greatest idea to biff dead stuff in waterways

leads to a not nice outcome if the eels cant/dont finish it

if you cut the claws and tail off they make good dog food, I dont really know what my dog does with them tho. Im pretty sure she just burys them and thats the end of it
    Chelsea likes this.

Fulla
    I've got to ask, why can't the dogs run on the farm?

As mentioned, dog food.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    I've got to ask, why can't the dogs run on the farm?

As mentioned, dog food.
    The owner hates dogs, reckon they just dig holes and cause trouble. Our old boys born and raised on farm, the young pup was learning to help shift stock and now that’s all gone out the window. We were at the last place 8years so it’s a big adjustment.
    bully likes this.