Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By outlander
  • 4 Post By timattalon

Thread: Marlin .22 rechambered x gc here in chch.... $219 ...but am I elligible for a refund?

GWE

Unhappy Marlin .22 rechambered x gc here in chch.... $219 ...but am I elligible for a refund?

1st time here. (An aged guy here who is in the final years of 'decreption')

Hi all & sundry.
    I have a Marlin .22 re-chambered x gc here in chch.... $219 ...but am I eligible for a refund? Received a police 'no-reply' letter yesterday & this is a para extracted from it.

Modifications
    Modification is voluntary. Some prohibited firearms with non-detachable tubular magazines can be permanently modified to reduce the magazine capacity. Should you elect to have your firearm modified by an approved gunsmith, the cost of the modification will be paid to the gunsmith up to a maximum of $300. If you are unsure if your firearm can be modified, we encourage you to seek advice from an approved gunsmith or dealer.* Please notify Police online of your intention to modify the firearm.

Well, last May I wrote the police & sent an attach. of the receipt thinking I had to fork out 4 this myself.

' Hi,
    Have had my Marlin .22 LR mag altered to 10 rnds capac. from 14. Enclosed is receipt.
    Regards,'

I haven't heard back, so do I just let time evolve out, to sort this? Is it likely I still get my $s returned?

(I wish I'd been able to keep my Winch 1937 .22 pump, it was way slim & easy to cart around, but a spitfire flying mate, since carked, reckoned that it was really dangerous to fire at anything a long way off because of its age, as it would only strain the barrel. I must admit said barrel did already have fishy looking bulge rings in several places.)

Quote Originally Posted by GWE View Post
    1st time here. (An aged guy here who is in the final years of 'decreption')

Hi all & sundry.
    I have a Marlin .22 re-chambered x gc here in chch.... $219 ...but am I eligible for a refund? Received a police 'no-reply' letter yesterday & this is a para extracted from it.

Modifications
    Modification is voluntary. Some prohibited firearms with non-detachable tubular magazines can be permanently modified to reduce the magazine capacity. Should you elect to have your firearm modified by an approved gunsmith, the cost of the modification will be paid to the gunsmith up to a maximum of $300. If you are unsure if your firearm can be modified, we encourage you to seek advice from an approved gunsmith or dealer.* Please notify Police online of your intention to modify the firearm.

Well, last May I wrote the police & sent an attach. of the receipt thinking I had to fork out 4 this myself.

' Hi,
    Have had my Marlin .22 LR mag altered to 10 rnds capac. from 14. Enclosed is receipt.
    Regards,'

I haven't heard back, so do I just let time evolve out, to sort this? Is it likely I still get my $s returned?

(I wish I'd been able to keep my Winch 1937 .22 pump, it was way slim & easy to cart around, but a spitfire flying mate, since carked, reckoned that it was really dangerous to fire at anything a long way off because of its age, as it would only strain the barrel. I must admit said barrel did already have fishy looking bulge rings in several places.)
    A reliable way of detecting strain cracks in a gun barrel is to liberally apply Talcum Powder and oil. They show up immediately and the process should be applied after every shot taken at more than 100 metres.
    GWE likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    A reliable way of detecting strain cracks in a gun barrel is to liberally apply Talcum Powder and oil. They show up immediately and the process should be applied after every shot taken at more than 100 metres.
    How could the difference of the distance make any difference? Whether you aim at something at 5 metres or 100 metres or 500 metres if you are using the same ammo then the effects on the rifle will be the same....Or is there a piss take I am not getting here?
    viper, Tussock, dannyb and 1 others like this.

As for the original poster.

No modifications have been approved yet, though they cannot be far from approving who can do it. Once that is sorted then there will be a process for applying for reimbursement