Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: My day trip to Central Oatgo Rabbit shooting

My day trip to Central Oatgo Rabbit shooting

I thought I would write a quick story on my rabbit hunt yesterday as there were a couple of funny things happen. I had my alarm set for 4.30 am however the cat woke me at 4.13 am with a claw to the neck telling me he was hungry, I rolled over and when the alarm went off I chucked the cat outside for his misbehaviour. I gobbled down some breakfast and headed off for the 2.5 hour drive. Once I arrived I called in to see the farmer and he got me to follow him way up on the hills to a new spot I had never shot before. On the way there rabbits were running all over the place so I started to get excited. I took the shotgun and .22 and started to head up the hill, it was blowing hard so not great for the .22 however it wasn't long before the shotgun start lighting up and rabbits cartwheeling left right and center. I was struggling to get close enough with the .22 but came up with a plan, I could see some rabbits on a hilly face and there was a creek close by with high banks so I made my way down there and used the high banks to hide behind. I peeped over the top of the bank and sure enough the rabbits were going about their business not noticing me, I slowly put the riffle on top of the bank and proceeded to knock them over one at a time. As I was dropping the rabbits something caught my eye approaching from my left, it was a rabbit and he was running right towards me. I froze and watched him, he got within 5 meters of me and stopped then he just looked at me wondering what I was and what I was doing (very curious). I slowly moved the riffle around and scoped him up, I squeezed the trigger and he folded up. It was like he wanted to be part of the action so I gave him a leading role in the show. After I had shot 7 rabbits from that spot I went and gathered them up and proceeded to take the back straps out of them. The funniest thing was yet to come as while I was taking the back straps out of them I looked up and 3 more rabbits came running down the face and onto the flat paddock, they were watching me curiously wondering what I was doing. I slowly reached over to my .22 and lay down, looking through my scope I could see the 3 rabbits just staring at me so I had to decide which lucky candidate was going to be first. I picked out the biggest and squeezed the trigger, he went down like a lead balloon while his 2 mates ran for cover not so excited about playing that game anymore. With the numbers mounting and the pack getting heavier with back straps I headed back to the truck for a bite to eat and to get the meat in the chilly bin. Off I went again the shot gun mowing them down, I got up on top of a mound and there standing in front of me looking right at me was a red deer (he also just stood there and stared back at me for while totally unafraid before trotting off happily). As it was getting near dusk I approached an open paddock and it was just moving with rabbits, too far for both shotgun and .22 I just kept walking. I got over the top of the last hill and over to my right was a group of rabbits, I picked out one with the shotgun and let rip then quickly followed another one with the bead and pulled the trigger, I was amazed to see 4 rabbits lying there.
    It was now almost dark so I headed back to the truck all the while rabbits running all over the place, the day went quick and it was a bit sad when the day was finally over. A great memorable day!

Name:  IMG_20170923_102500.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  214.9 KBName:  IMG_20170923_133628.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  218.8 KBName:  IMG_20170923_102522.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  204.1 KBName:  IMG_7406.JPG
Views: 466
Size:  181.4 KB
    P38, Shootm, veitnamcam and 15 others like this.
    When hunting think safety first

SiB
    If they've been shot they're not the lucky ones ..........

The red deer???? Tell us more !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    If they've been shot they're not the lucky ones ..........

The red deer???? Tell us more !!!!!!!
    It's the second time I have seen a deer while shooting rabbits there but the farmer shoots them, just happy I can shoot his rabbits
    veitnamcam, Munsey and Micky Duck like this.

I've not heard of taking the backstraps before - is it easier than doing the full gutting?

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    I've not heard of taking the backstraps before - is it easier than doing the full gutting?
    I just take the choice cut for the cat, easy to run the knife up the back of the pelt, pull it apart and then follow down each side of the spine (out in a flash) be good tucker if you wanted to eat it as well. Takes way too long to bone the whole thing out.
    308 and Marty Henry like this.

Name:  IMG_5920.JPG
Views: 449
Size:  186.8 KB
    308, 6x47, Boaraxa and 2 others like this.

I may have mentioned my rabbit recipe elsewhere but... Hold bunny by skin at centre of back so body hangs loose. Cut skin and rip both ways to reveal nakedness. Take backstraps and hindquarters. Soak in water with a glug of white vinegar overnight. Pat dry before tossing in flour to which a teaspoon of chicken stock has been added. Brown in camp oven, or brown before putting in slow cooker. Add some chopped bacon and a can of beer. Usually find you need a bit more than one can, so open another. (Hic) Simmer until cooked. Can add the likes of celery and chopped bell pepper for colour. Flour thickens the liquid. Great eating.

Good read
    Lucky cat
    Marty Henry likes this.

I'd always be receptive to a phone call a few days before, looks like you had a great day!!
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    I may have mentioned my rabbit recipe elsewhere but... Hold bunny by skin at centre of back so body hangs loose. Cut skin and rip both ways to reveal nakedness. Take backstraps and hindquarters. Soak in water with a glug of white vinegar overnight. Pat dry before tossing in flour to which a teaspoon of chicken stock has been added. Brown in camp oven, or brown before putting in slow cooker. Add some chopped bacon and a can of beer. Usually find you need a bit more than one can, so open another. (Hic) Simmer until cooked. Can add the likes of celery and chopped bell pepper for colour. Flour thickens the liquid. Great eating.
    LOOSE THE CELERY then Im in
    Ingrid 51 and berg243 like this.

I can't believe you go to that much trouble for the cat... I thought ours were spoilt! Good on ya though, lots of fun huh?!

I grab the pelt around the middle of the back, slit across the back with the knife, pull the rear half of the pelt back over the hind legs and off the rabbit then simply cut the hind legs off as a pair. This leaves all the internals, pelt and front end behind for the hawks. I give the cats a single leg for dinner every couple of nights... to share. Usually there's nothing left in the morning.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    Thanks for that, I will give it a go

An action filled day for sure, great fun shooting rabbits.
    norsk and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    I can't believe you go to that much trouble for the cat... I thought ours were spoilt! Good on ya though, lots of fun huh?!

I grab the pelt around the middle of the back, slit across the back with the knife, pull the rear half of the pelt back over the hind legs and off the rabbit then simply cut the hind legs off as a pair. This leaves all the internals, pelt and front end behind for the hawks. I give the cats a single leg for dinner every couple of nights... to share. Usually there's nothing left in the morning.
    I have been feeding rabbit and wallaby to the cat since he was a kitten, he is 4 now and he looks forward to it so mush he starts waking me up any time after 4am in the morning. He starts by tapping my neck with his paw but if you don't get up he digs a bit of claw in (trust me you don't mess with the pud) his next step if that doesn't work is a bite on my nose, hence why I usually get up at stage one (paw tapping).
    planenutz likes this.

ive shot near on 10k, all i use it for is pet food