Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: New Zealands big Cats

New Zealands big Cats

I hate feral cats and have shot some large toms over the years,before a camera was part of my hunting kit.Who has photos or stories of large cats in NZ?
    I will start with a photo taken 2 yrs ago by an American tourist who was camping near me in Mt Cook Nat Park.He came over to our camp to ask if we had Cougars in NZ as he had just seen one about the size of a Labrador dog,it went into the scrub and a hare ran out so he had a size comparison at the same distance of approx 300yds.I asked if he was able to photograph it to which he replied sure and showed me the photo on the camera screen.He later sent me a hard copy.I have since been back to the same spot and looked at the rock the cat is standing on, it,s not a small rock that is a big cat!!.
    Name:  cougar1.jpg
Views: 4631
Size:  255.9 KB

These are some cat prints in the sand on a remote beach on SI Westcoast also 2yrs ago.That stride bigger than the average moggy.
    Name:  cat prints.jpg
Views: 2735
Size:  233.2 KB

This cat lost the fight with a .375 H&H Mag.It had no top teeth at the front only the bottom ones, it was a young cat in good nick shot this year Central Otago.

Name:  P1060893 (1014 x 760).jpg
Views: 4080
Size:  221.5 KB
    Survy and JP100 like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    you certainly don't want one climbing up you!
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Nice shooting
    Yeah there's some big pussy's out there that's for sure.

We normally get quite a few each time we hit the roos in the Mac.
    Also on the farms I do some bunny population reducing on, I have come across a few. They seem to do very well on the young bunnies.
    Heard of a pussy getting drilled at nearly 2000m on a range pass down Qtown way when guys were doing a goat cull.
    Was a scraggly skinny feral from all accounts. Best thing was it got taken out.
    john m likes this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

There is/was a very large feral moggy living around the Landcorp block to the south of Mt. Tauhara in Taupo. I disturbed it once in a paddock across the road from our farm house while out training for cross country. Thought it was a stray dog at first as it ran away, but it stopped and looked at me before diving through the fence into the black berry. I got a good look at it, basically a very stocky cat of some kind, about the same size as a mature lab, maybe a little shorter height wise, but much much larger than the average house cat. Big enough to take a smaller sheep I reckon, easily able to take a lamb. I got the usual "cool story" when I told my parents. Then my mum saw it a couple of days later in the same paddock. Didn't see it for another 2 years after that, on the same block but about a hundred yards from our neighbors house. We turned up to get some mutton and they were standing out on the drive with binos checking it out. It's facial structure looked more like the big cats in Africa etc. What ever it was it would have been well fed.
    john m likes this.

I have seen a couple in Canterbury, they have a weird sort of haunch eh..big, powerful rear end and lower set shoulders.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Caretaker
    This one made the mistake of showing itself while I was culling Goats on a neighbours forestry block. They must eat a LOT of native birds going by the size of some of them

DAF, cambo, Dougie and 2 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    This one made the mistake of showing itself while I was culling Goats on a neighbours forestry block. They must eat a LOT of native birds going by the size of some of them

Now that is a good cat. Dead
    veitnamcam and JoshC like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Did you get any photos of its teeth?
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I shot one down Cromwell way that was more like a leopard.. long long tail and long legs - was huge, quite different from your usual big moggie
    Didnt get to retrieve it as it ended up in a burrow under a big boulder
    Talked to station owner about it, apparently it was a 'Bendigo Tiger'
    Great? Grandfather of Bendigo station introduced them 100 or so yrs ago to control the rabbit problem
    Imported from India - cant remember the name of the cat - I think they are the ones you see draped around peoples shoulders over there
    john m likes this.

Ejected
    Same thing is happening over the ditch, some little cats getting VERY big as they get more feral.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    I shot one down Cromwell way that was more like a leopard.. long long tail and long legs - was huge, quite different from your usual big moggie
    Didnt get to retrieve it as it ended up in a burrow under a big boulder
    Talked to station owner about it, apparently it was a 'Bendigo Tiger'
    Great? Grandfather of Bendigo station introduced them 100 or so yrs ago to control the rabbit problem
    Imported from India - cant remember the name of the cat - I think they are the ones you see draped around peoples shoulders over there
    Ocelot?

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Same thing is happening over the ditch, some little cats getting VERY big as they get more feral.
    Do the local wild life a favour and shoot them Wirehunt.
    john m likes this.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Ocelot?
    I dunno - founds familiar?
    I'm down that way in a month and will ask if I remember

There was a fair bit about these cats sightings in the media a few years back

Big Cat Sightings in New Zealand
    john m likes this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Smacked a cat on the run with a 20 gauge a few years ago. Had my now wife out with me for a rabbit shoot( her 1st and it happened to be her gun i shot it with too(i'd bought it for her)) It would have been a good 40 metres so i was most surprised when i saw it do the dead cat flip. I got a bit of a earbashing from her too when she realised i had shot a cat. just had to explin it was a wild one , kills native birds, spreads disease blah blah blah and that the bet one is a dead one. She understands now though.