Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By planenutz
  • 2 Post By diana2
  • 3 Post By viper
  • 1 Post By Bill999

Thread: Nor'wester stirring up the hares and bunnies ?

Question Nor'wester stirring up the hares and bunnies ?

I posted this in another thread but got no reply so thought it might be better starting a new thread.....

"hey guys question for all the rabbiters on here.
    the other night we had a bloody good ol North Canty Nor'wester
    I was working night shift and I noticed on the way home at just before dawn there were rabbits and hares out and about everywhere (more than I would usually see).
    Is this just a coincidence or does the Nor'wester really stir them up and make them more active ???
    Also of note there were a lot of Black birds just sitting on the road near suicidally launching themselves at my car as the headlights picked them up (must've cleaned up 4 or 5 on the way home too)."

Have noticed a heap of hares round at the moment as well. Haven't been up here long so not sure if it's just a large population after a good season or the norwester. Either way need to get out and clean some up. Interesting theory though

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

By my observation animals in general don't like wind. It makes them jittery and do strange things. Kids are the same - ask any Kindergarten or Primary School teatcher... windy days are much worse than rainy days.

Bloody rabbits around here have been hard work with the recent nor'westerlies. They typically conjugate on the lee side of the ridges out of the wind and avoid the heat of direct sunlight. They also tend to bolt faster too... like they're already sprung loaded and ready to go. It's been hard to get in close. Also keep in mind the increased feed we have as a result of the wetter summer. More feed equals better survival rates and healthier animals surviving into adulthood.

Enjoy watching them. They do some funny shit sometimes.
    7mm Rem Mag and dannyb like this.

Rabbits and hares use their ears as air conditioning,- on hot days they cool down by propping up their ears in the wind.
    The veins in their ears cool down in the wind and transport the cooler blood to their body.
    viper and planenutz like this.
    Or you can stay within 300 yards and keep life a lot simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by diana2 View Post
    Rabbits and hares use their ears as air conditioning,- on hot days they cool down by propping up their ears in the wind.
    The veins in their ears cool down in the wind and transport the cooler blood to their body.
    I find a small piece of high speed lead also cools them down.......forever
    Sideshow, planenutz and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    By my observation animals in general don't like wind. It makes them jittery and do strange things. Kids are the same - ask any Kindergarten or Primary School teatcher... windy days are much worse than rainy days.

Bloody rabbits around here have been hard work with the recent nor'westerlies. They typically conjugate on the lee side of the ridges out of the wind and avoid the heat of direct sunlight. They also tend to bolt faster too... like they're already sprung loaded and ready to go. It's been hard to get in close. Also keep in mind the increased feed we have as a result of the wetter summer. More feed equals better survival rates and healthier animals surviving into adulthood.

Enjoy watching them. They do some funny shit sometimes.
    Horses are nightmares on windy days
    cows often are too
    I think its a prey animal thing
    i think its just over stimulation by everything moving and making noise
    dannyb likes this.