Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Sarvo

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: For the Poo Experts - an easy one I hope

Looks like possum pooh to me
    Phil_H likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    I'm going with possums and not wallaby. There is too many of these scattered around the farm for them to be wallaby without seeing other sign of them. Possums...??? We have truck loads.

Cheers
    Phil
    Hey Phil there is examples of both wallaby and small pig poo on that pest detective site

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    Hey Phil there is examples of both wallaby and small pig poo on that pest detective site

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Going by the examples on the site it would definitely rule out Wallaby.....thank God for that.

The examples of pig poo are more what I am familiar with and we do get the odd big dropping up there which are obviously big pig, but I know we have a lot of little pigs and I have never found anything that I have been able to positively identify as theirs. Do they look like big pig poo but smaller proportions? If so, there is an absence of their droppings.

Cheers
    Phil
    kukuwai likes this.

Definitely not wobbly, definitely not cat. Summer possum, feeding on all the good green tucker about at present, often a long ways from any trees
    Micky Duck likes this.

No doesn't look like Possum to me

My call is pig that has included in its diet some carcass material from dead stock etc.
    That's what gives it that dark glossy look. Shape is right too

Could these be the two offenders here...

Attachment 154359

Cheers
    Phil
    Hahahah

Now I am truly worried.
    Sharon saw this thread this evening and informed me that there has been a definite sighting of Wallaby on the loose in a back garden in the village 5 km up the road from here. There was nothing to suggest that it was a domesticated one that had escaped the coop.
    Apparently this information came to her from the partner of one of our district councillors here in Selwyn.

This is coupled with starting to see tracks in the long grass up here not consistent with either deer or possum that I am familiar with , and the absence of any rooting along these tracks suggests to me that they are not pig either.
    This has all coincided with a large swath of forestry above us being taken out over the last 3 - 4 months. It has stopped now but the hillsides are bare and I am waiting to see the new patterns of animals here to see what has been driven out of their normal habitat. Are wallaby possibly in the mix as well?

I shall most definitely be making more enquiries with the council and Doc tomorrow.

Cheers
    Phil

It’s way to big to be possum
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

you will find wallaby marks in usual spots...the 3 toes are dead giveway...it could be possum who loves anul..... roo pooh is usually one big pellet more than clumped like that.... there are wallabies close by here in Geraldine....its only a "hop skip and a jump" up the road to your neck of the woods.....
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Just read these posts,we have the same droppings out the back of my place where that big roo feeds.The roo picture i put up a week ago on here.Some of his skat has little reds bits of rose hip berries in it.You have some roos about.No pigs around back of my place.You see low tunnels in yr long grass into bush.Roos love these tunnels to their sleeping spots.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

cat

Itll be possum I have seen them clumped like that up to 4 inches long when I used to do pest control

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Just read these posts,we have the same droppings out the back of my place where that big roo feeds.The roo picture i put up a week ago on here.Some of his skat has little reds bits of rose hip berries in it.You have some roos about.No pigs around back of my place.You see low tunnels in yr long grass into bush.Roos love these tunnels to their sleeping spots.
    Interesting @Trout.
    The tracks or tunnels through the grass are ones that I have not seen before except last year high on the hill just out of the bushline.
    These tracks have areas where an animal or animals have been lying in the grass as well. Definitely not deer from experience and to big for possum. Don't believe it is pig either as there is no other co-operating sign of them in these spots.

Have made enquiries with DOC today and just waiting on a reply.

Cheers
    Phil

Interesting @Trout.
    The tracks or tunnels through the grass are ones that I have not seen before except last year high on the hill just out of the bushline.
    These tracks have areas where an animal or animals have been lying in the grass as well. Definitely not deer from experience and to big for possum. Don't believe it is pig either as there is no other co-operating sign of them in these spots.

Have made enquiries with DOC today and just waiting on a reply.

Cheers
    Phil
    In all honesty if you had wallabies, I'd be very supprised that you haven't seen any. If they were there they would be down feeding on the crop paddocks too not just staying up in the long tussock, my money is on large possum shite. Still watching and awaiting results
    #DANNYCENT