Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree36Likes
  • 22 Post By viper
  • 9 Post By NzMavrick
  • 1 Post By charlie1991
  • 1 Post By NewbieZAR
  • 3 Post By RUMPY

Thread: Rabbit hunt locations wanted

Rabbit hunt locations wanted

Hey guys,

I live in Silverdale, Auckland and my buddies and I are looking for places that would appreciate a rabbit cull - even if smaller numbers

Happy to go nearly any where in the greater Auckland, Waikato, Northland and happy to do an over nighter if there's tent/camping areas.

Happy to meet farmer etc before hand. Have some buddies that are licensed that would love to join as well.

Our currently places are mid north island so we will travel for a weekend away etc

Thanks

Hi NzMavrick, just to help you along on the forum.
    Firstly this kind of post has been posted before and the response is always the same.
    No one is going to recommend you or tell you a spot to shoot. It doesn't work like that, now you could be a great guy and an extremely responsible firearms user ( i hope you are ) or a total dick wad...we don't know so would never recommend you.
    The same advice is always issued here, get in the car and go door knocking.
    No farmer is going to throw open the gate and let you on his land without meeting you, even for Health and Safety reasons let alone someone walking round his farm with a rifle.

Knock on doors, explain who you are , be polite and expect to hear NO a lot and be courteous when they say no.
    Don't turn up like a mall Ninja or Rambo, that just sets off alarm bells.
    Be low key, don't come up his drive in a fucken Hummer with a camo paint job and a big bore exhaust.
    Farmers work and don't like visits during their dinner etc, you asking permission is just an extension of their working day.
    Don't mention you have mates who are keen also.... that's instant "NO", ask for yourself, this ain't a team sport.

That's about it in a nut shell, get off your arse, drive some miles, knock on doors , meet some people and see where it goes... you might get a yes.
    Good luck
    Trout, Bill999, Tentman and 19 others like this.

Hi Viper,
    Thanks for taking the time to explain it... makes perfect sense. and I appreciate the effort and guidance mate
    Trout, Tentman, stingray and 6 others like this.

I found before I lived on a farm, offer to help out on the farm, do the jobs that are needed first spend a day docking and you'll be sure to get a night shooting.
    Ranger 888 likes this.

Walking my rifle
    Mate, pretty much what Viper said.
    i used to live in the big smoke, and the only way we found places to shoot rabbits on is door knocking.
    Drive up north away from the main roads and knock some doors, offer to help up around the place too.
    Phil_H likes this.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

Viper summed it up exactly. One thing that helps a tiny bit is learning a bit about farming so you can ask if lambing or docking is finished as you don't like stock being disturbed unnecessarily. Also if you do get access don't do anything dumb like getting your vehicle stuck and needing help from the farmer. They have better things to do with their day. Good luck.
    Micky Duck, Phil_H and Padox like this.

Respect, respect, respect - if you open a closed gate - close the bloody thing again. Leave it as you find it and leave nothing on farmers land but boot prints.

And let him know he is appreciated - I always put a dozen bears on his doorstep at Christmas as a thanks. He always accepts them, but I have never asked if he actually drinks lol

Be mindful that while you are an individual, in some respects you are representing all of us, and what you do could impact on us all (If you are a cock, his attitude towards hunters will change and he is unlikely to allow other hunters on his land, so dont be a cock!)

Good luck
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.