Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Mintie
  • 1 Post By southernman
  • 2 Post By charliehorse

Thread: Rabbits and Turkey in Hawkes Bay?

Rabbits and Turkey in Hawkes Bay?

Hi All.

Im very new here, being a Brit, not used to the idea of hiking around the countryside with a weapon!
    Back in the UK, there is the "right of way " law, I know there I no such thing here, so I want to tread carefully, as most land around here is farmland, Im looking for Rabbit and maybe Turkey ( I heard a rumour of Turkey around here)

So anyone care to help me out and maybe point me in the right direction I would be much obliged.

Thank you.
    Simon

MB
    Hi Simon. You need permission to shoot wherever you are. If you don't know landowners and don't want to start knocking on doors, then you will be limited to DOC land. Check out their website for places to shoot in your area and get a permit. On most DOC land, you have to use a centrefire above a certain calibre. No rimfires, shotguns or air rifles as a rule. There are exceptions, but they are few and far between and you have to gain a special permit as I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by srosefx View Post
    Hi All.

Im very new here, being a Brit, not used to the idea of hiking around the countryside with a weapon!
    Back in the UK, there is the "right of way " law, I know there I no such thing here, so I want to tread carefully, as most land around here is farmland, Im looking for Rabbit and maybe Turkey ( I heard a rumour of Turkey around here)

So anyone care to help me out and maybe point me in the right direction I would be much obliged.

Thank you.
    Simon
    Hey mate,
    one way to access some of these places is to join the Hastings NZDA. We do have a few club hunts each year on private land. The next meeting is Wednesday night, let me know if your interested.
    BF
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

When you are getting a hunting permit there should be a photo map of all of the places you can hunt. Or alternatively call the doc office. They can issue Rimfire permits and possibly get you in touch with land owners with rabbits which might lead to deer in the future

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Hi Simon, Get in touch with me, I am local and have a few places I hunt which have both rabbits and turkey in good numbers.
    Frogfeatures, Mooseman and dannyb like this.

Right there, is what makes this forum,
    Helping out a new fellow, thumbs up Mintie
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    Hi Simon, Get in touch with me, I am local and have a few places I hunt which have both rabbits and turkey in good numbers.
    Hey Mintie. Do you still hunt rabbit? I'm new here and I may be doing it all wrong as I seem to have no luck spotting the rabbits in the area I have been although I know they are there.

Yep still head out on bunnies every so often, Will pm you

Hallo guys,
    just came to Hastings for two months and looking for some rabbit/hare bow hunting (Canadian Goose as well) around the are. Any suggestion where to go to knock the doors etc...? Thank you.
    P.S. I´m very new to this community here so Hi everybody

Looks like Mintie could start a guiding business
    7mmsaum and Mintie like this.