Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Recommendation for scope mounted torch.

Recommendation for scope mounted torch.

Hi all
    Looking to update from old spot light and gel cell to something lighter with a nice range out to 75-100m. Bring on the recommendations!

Maxtoch 2x if you can find one locally @mudgripz you got one left ?

I don't have one Dan but pretty sure Greg Maniatis gunsmith in Christchurch has 1-2 plus gear. His number 027 4879611
    dannyb likes this.

Just put a Led Lensor P7R (rechargeable) through its paces for a couple of nights work. Cracking little torch. I have it in a bracket that goes on a picatinny rail with a quick release button. Good range and good battery life. Easily the best wee light I have used and as it is not mounted on the scope the rifle handles so much better. Get one! 1000 lumens. My old P7 was 450 so a huge jump up.

Purveyor of Fine Cutlery terryf's Avatar
    You can use a GM05 with a Nitecore torch of choice.

Name:  GM05.jpg
Views: 2000
Size:  164.5 KB

Coupled with a P30 long throw torch

Name:  20180312160704_46739.jpg
Views: 2041
Size:  94.7 KB
    Name:  20180312160714_60946.jpg
Views: 1922
Size:  92.7 KB
    Regards
    Terry

https://www.knives4africa.co.nz/
    Custom knife dealer

Authorised Nitecore Torch Retailer
    NZ Distributor of Nano-Oil

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Hi all
    Looking to update from old spot light and gel cell to something lighter with a nice range out to 75-100m. Bring on the recommendations!
    Depending on the rifle, have you considered mounting the torch under the rifle. A piece of PVC the right size with a split down it and heated and shaped to spring over the torch works well. Keeps the balance of the rifle and the torch can go in and out of the holder as you want.

Only way is this
    I have Olight and Maxtoch
    Same for both (same torch

Name:  DSC_0043_resize.JPG
Views: 2017
Size:  204.7 KB

Name:  DSC_0044_resize.JPG
Views: 1941
Size:  189.6 KB

Name:  DSC_0047_resize.JPG
Views: 2016
Size:  206.3 KB
    scottrods and dannyb like this.

I have some chinese lenser knock-offs. CREE type LED. Wiill fit 35mm rings/mounts with bushing (like pvc mentioned above) 3xAAA. Flood-spot adjust. 80lumens IIRC
    My eyes aint good but I can pick up coons out to 50 just looking, 120+ through optics.
    $15+postage

I can vouch for the Nitecore P30 great beam length and a lot smaller than the Maxtoch. Easily light up bunnys at 100m and the ability to go well beyond that.
    terryf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Depending on the rifle, have you considered mounting the torch under the rifle. A piece of PVC the right size with a split down it and heated and shaped to spring over the torch works well. Keeps the balance of the rifle and the torch can go in and out of the holder as you want.
    Much better under than on the scope I guess because its further forward. Cuts the glare out of the scope specially with a suppressor.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I've been using a Nitecore P30 since April 2018. Sold all my maxitorch stuff soon after purchasing the P30's.

Main advantages of the P30 for me are:
    1. Single battery torch. Makes it way easer to manage battery's of various ages and/or capacities. Throw a battery in, run it till the light indicates its time to change, change and keep going. I found with double cell torches, one poor cell lets the pair down and you are changing out batteries unnecessarily. Means you carry less batteries for a nights shooting.
    2. Single battery torch is way lighter and smaller. Less weight and less effect on rifle balance. Also makes it easy to carry a spare P30 on a belt holster just in case one fails (never happened yet, but it could).
    3. Coupled to the Nitecore GM02 mount, the torch can be mounted to any short section of rail in a really slim line profile.
    4. Due to the above, I mount my lights under my rifles. Using a router bit, I machine a small flat surface on the bottom of my wooden stocks dead parallel with the top of the barrel channel, and mount a small screw on section of rail. This way the torch mount is parallel to the barrel and is closer to the barrel centreline as opposed to mounting the torch on top of the scope, which puts the centre of the light beam all but dead centre with the point of impact. Once mounted the torch becomes a foregrip which helps with ergonomics of free hand shooting. A quick flick of the rear button on the torch after spotting your target with the head lamp and its all lit up for the kill.
    5. P30 had two buttons. One is a separate on/off and the other is the power setting. Set the power you want once, then use the on/off. Never have to cycle through the useless flashing modes common with single button models.

If you want some photos showing the setup I can snap some images tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Much better under than on the scope I guess because its further forward. Cuts the glare out of the scope specially with a suppressor.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    I can vouch for the Nitecore P30 great beam length and a lot smaller than the Maxtoch. Easily light up bunnys at 100m and the ability to go well beyond that.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by terryf View Post
    You can use a GM05 with a Nitecore torch of choice.
    I use the GM02

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    I've been using a Nitecore P30 since April 2018. Sold all my maxitorch stuff soon after purchasing the P30's.

Main advantages of the P30 for me are:
    1. Single battery torch. Makes it way easer to manage battery's of various ages and/or capacities. Throw a battery in, run it till the light indicates its time to change, change and keep going. I found with double cell torches, one poor cell lets the pair down and you are changing out batteries unnecessarily. Means you carry less batteries for a nights shooting.
    2. Single battery torch is way lighter and smaller. Less weight and less effect on rifle balance. Also makes it easy to carry a spare P30 on a belt holster just in case one fails (never happened yet, but it could).
    3. Coupled to the Nitecore GM02 mount, the torch can be mounted to any short section of rail in a really slim line profile.
    4. Due to the above, I mount my lights under my rifles. Using a router bit, I machine a small flat surface on the bottom of my wooden stocks dead parallel with the top of the barrel channel, and mount a small screw on section of rail. This way the torch mount is parallel to the barrel and is closer to the barrel centreline as opposed to mounting the torch on top of the scope, which puts the centre of the light beam all but dead centre with the point of impact. Once mounted the torch becomes a foregrip which helps with ergonomics of free hand shooting. A quick flick of the rear button on the torch after spotting your target with the head lamp and its all lit up for the kill.
    5. P30 had two buttons. One is a separate on/off and the other is the power setting. Set the power you want once, then use the on/off. Never have to cycle through the useless flashing modes common with single button models.

If you want some photos showing the setup I can snap some images tomorrow.
    Would love to see a side by side comparison with the maxtoch 2x I'd be supprised if it could match it.
    The 2 battery thing isnt an issue no more complicated than changing a single battery torch twice as often imo.
    If anyone in chch or North Canty wants to pit there p30 up against a 2x I'd be happy to meet up.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    I use the GM02
    Well there are a host of variants from the GM02 picatinny mount, the GM05 scope mount to the GM01 barrel mount - all depends on what you need/prefer.
    GM02 and GM05 are by far the most popular coupled with a pressure switch.
    Regards
    Terry

Custom knife dealer

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Would love to see a side by side comparison with the maxtoch 2x I'd be supprised if it could match it.
    The 2 battery thing isnt an issue no more complicated than changing a single battery torch twice as often imo.
    If anyone in chch or North Canty wants to pit there p30 up against a 2x I'd be happy to meet up.
    Its not designed to match it.
    The Maxtoch throws a 1200m beam as opposed to the 618 of the P30 but then its half the weight and much smaller.
    P30 is also cheaper. Its a case of buying what you need and that fits into your shooting style within your budget.
    Regards
    Terry

Custom knife dealer