Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By csmiffy

Thread: Ruger 10/22 competition light?

Ruger 10/22 competition light?

Does anyone have any experience with the new stainless laminate factory custom shop 10/22? I have had my Marlin papoose stainless for 20 years but now the kids have claimed it for themselves when we go possuming. We usually carry a center fire rifle for daytime large animal slaying with the papoose in my bag but with four of us battling over who gets to shoot , and usually the one that spots the possum is not the one carrying the 22 , I was looking to get a second one. Was looking at the 10/22 takedown as they seem popular and could still chuck in a bag , but don't sound particularly accurate , so had decided to wait until the new papoose shipment arrives in the country. Then I saw the Ruger competition in the shop and it was love at first sight. Not a take down bag gun , heavy barrel , but very cool, and I already have a papoose.....
    No experience with 10/22's either....
    Not to mention twice the price of the marlin....

No Experience with the competition light but would imagine it would be a good shooter. Ruger seemed to have improved their quality of the last couple of years on the 10 / 22 front.
    Heavy barrel might not be so much fun to carry but that will depend on where and how you shoot and how much you have to lug it around.

I run a 10 / 22 stainless houge model and despite a past experience with a mates 10 / 22 ruger back in the early 80s that was total total piece of shit my new Ruger is excellent.
    Very very reliable, rotary mag has always being a great design and mine is very accurate .
    I don't think other than the possible weight you won't go wrong with the Comp lite plus they do look nice.

10/22. get a trigger job done, fit a polymer buffer.
    i have a stainless hogue stocked and a blued choate drag stocked one.
    dont use remington ammo in them as its filthy stuff, not to keen on winchester power points but loves all types of cci

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    10/22. get a trigger job done, fit a polymer buffer.
    i have a stainless hogue stocked and a blued choate drag stocked one.
    dont use remington ammo in them as its filthy stuff, not to keen on winchester power points but loves all types of cci
    Apparently they come with the BX trigger and the guy in the shop reckons they don't need much doing to them as it's all been done in the factory. Barrel has extra top bolt for true free floating barrel and an extra receiver mounting bolt. But some of the reviews I have seen say they can have extraction problems. Doesn't sound like much can be done in way of customization either because of all the factory changes.

honestly a good trigger job is better than a BX. when i had a target barrelled 10/22 it did not like manual extraction with cci kwik shock one little bit but always extracted on firing.
    you may find you have to take a couple of turns off the return spring to cycle subs with no issue.
    i still think the polymer bolt stop is a good idea, makes it allot quieter

Stops a lot of vibration going up into the scope
    Richard Wilhelm told me when I got mine back on the early 90s those hardened pins were no good for scopes
    gonetropo likes this.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am a little worried about the weight and size of the Ruger over the takedown papoose as we usually walk around 15km and I also have the mighty 45/70 on me as well for the daytime portion of the walk. Decisions , decisions...

I have the standard 1022 shortened with a timney trigger
    It's accuracy was the same as my brno 22(very good) so I sold the brno
    It's a brilliant little gun that gets all the rough treatment and none of the care and still runs like a sewing machine

i would also suggest a weaver type rail not the 3/8 dovetail

The other option I have considered is to build up a 10/22 from parts. 55six have some nice carbon barrels which would appear to be a good option from the reviews I've read. Get a short one to keep it light but do I just start from scratch and build the whole thing with custom parts or modify an existing rifle...? Seems a bit silly to buy a rifle and then remove and replace most of it. But the problem with building is the vast multitude of options and knowing what is going to give best performance and reliability for the buck.
    born to hunt - forced to work

I used a nylon Ramset plug as a polymer bolt stop. 4 for $2

Sold one of those rifles to one of my more fussy customers .He swapped out the trigger to a kidd one and the rifle is now a "keeper".