Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Should I replace my tikka T3 .223?

Should I replace my tikka T3 .223?

Hi Guys,

New to this forum and my first post. I have a Tikka .223 1 in 12 twist which I love but was out goat hunting today and had trouble bringing a couple down. I'll admit I'm not the best shot in the world, have only been hunting a couple years but put round through the front shoulder. Was shooting 55gr ammo, the goats did expire but took a bit longer than I would like. I'm not a fan of animals of suffering. I prefer clean take downs. I did shoot a fallow with the gun about a month back using 60gr ammo was a spine shot so straight down.

Like i said i love the rifle but seeing as I can't really put anything heavier through it than 60gr, would I be better in getting rid of it and getting a 1 in 8 so can use heavier ammo? Or does anyone have any advice on better ammo I can use. I also have a 270 for the big stuff but like the smaller calibre for smaller stuff, goats, wallabies and the occasional fallow.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

My t3 in 223 manages whitetail well. Had a couple of big bucks walk 50-100m with double lung shots but most drop on the spot as usually take head or neck shots out to 200m

Thanks for that, is that a 1 in 12 twist as well?

Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    Thanks for that, is that a 1 in 12 twist as well?
    Would have to check but pretty sure, standard factory one. Using 55gr amax reloads or hornady factory ammo

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Would have to check but pretty sure, standard factory one. Using 55gr amax reloads or hornady factory ammo
    Thanks, looks like more to do with my shooting that what I'm shooting possibly. Need to get bit more confidence to take head shots from that distance which means more practice then

The 223 is an awesome cal I have found the cheap 55grn hornady SP one of the best bullets to use they do massive damage with should shots and work well on fallow and reds as well. I think it is the same bullet that is loaded in the bulk training ammo if you are not a reloader.
    These work well in the 1 in 12 twist. You will be impressed with those cheap little projectiles.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    kiwi39 likes this.

I've got an 8:1 and find I cannot group it with lighter ammo, Chuck in some Hornady 75 grain and bingo 1" at 100 metres off the bi pod,
    I'll have to muck about a bit more to find a lighter projectile it likes!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I've got an 8:1 and find I cannot group it with lighter ammo, Chuck in some Hornady 75 grain and bingo 1" at 100 metres off the bi pod,
    I'll have to muck about a bit more to find a lighter projectile it likes!
    Had the opposite problem, tried 75gr and could stabilise them!
    @bigred head shots on goats is good practise, just behind the ear and they either drop on the spot or you miss! Can go well past 200m if you don't want to recover the meat from goats which is another bonus
    kiwi39 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Had the opposite problem, tried 75gr and could stabilise them!
    @bigred head shots on goats is good practise, just behind the ear and they either drop on the spot or you miss! Can go well past 200m if you don't want to recover the meat from goats which is another bonus
    Thanks 223nut guess its better to practice in something that I wouldn't be too uspet about missing.

That's interesting, I think this may need Happys magic worked on it!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    The 223 is an awesome cal I have found the cheap 55grn hornady SP one of the best bullets to use they do massive damage with should shots and work well on fallow and reds as well. I think it is the same bullet that is loaded in the bulk training ammo if you are not a reloader.
    These work well in the 1 in 12 twist. You will be impressed with those cheap little projectiles.

What sort of distance do you normally shoot from on deer?

Up to 200M neck or should

Have to agree with 25/08 IMP those 55gr SP/WC are a very good bullet you can get them in factory loads and bulk for reloading. About 200 meters is a safe range for the 223 but a good shot can stretch that a bit. If you need more horsepower use your 270 out past 200 meters.
    25/08IMP likes this.

Have the 1:8 and use only federal 55gr sp.....used the same load for over 14 years now, Sika, fallow, goats and pigs.
    Am sure there are better loads to try but I like the load and the rifle still puts them into tiny groups.
    Just keep shooting the goats you will soon learn which angles and shot placements work best, head and neck work well with practice.
    tetawa, Maca49, 25/08IMP and 1 others like this.

Fulla
    If mostly goat shooting something bigger would be better.
    Or get a 1:8 iv had two now. The first shot 50 to 80gr well. The second doesn't like 50's but shoots 80,s well. The only thing is for the 1:8 you really need to hand load to take advantage.
    My first 1:8 didn't like 55gr but maybe the second one will. There a great versatile rifle.