Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Spotlighting Scope Objective

Spotlighting Scope Objective

Thinking of getting a Marlin 39A for shooting possums and since I'm pretty short sighted by the evening I'll need to put a scope on it.

Logic would tell me that a larger objective lens would be better for night-time since more light comes in, but I was wondering (for aesthetics) whether a 28 or 33mm would still be effective?

Cheers!

I used to have a very cheap 4x32 sharp hunter that usually comes on rifles from hunting and fishing, and it took the lives of many rabbits and possums spotlighting.
    I now have a 4-12x40 Simmons, and apart from being able to zoom, I notice no difference at all.

I would have no qualms what so ever putting a Leupold 4x33 or a 4x28 rimfire scope on a possum gun.
    Infact when I find a decent CZ 452 on Trademe I'm going to put one of those scopes on it.

If you asked this question on an American gun forum they would say a 50mm objective at least with a 34mm tube, but it really is not at all necessary.

Sweet, that's what I wanted to hear! haha

Ejected
    My nikko sterling that I had on my 22 worked fine for getting rabbits, hares and possums provided the light was half decent. Just sitting in the cupboard now if you want it

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    Always invest a little more when looking at your otpions and you will never regret it! You mentioned possums so I assume you are talking night shooting. Look at two things. Firstly the zoom ... 3-9 power is perfectly adequate (which is what I have on my 10/22) and I spent a little more on my HMR which has a 4-12 power. The next thing is Objective size - my 22 has a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40mm but I spent a little more on the HMR and mounted a Leupold VX-2 4-12x50mm. I chose the bigger objective (and better lenses) on the HMR simply because it's the rifle I always use on dusk when I'm out chasing rabbits. If I were just night shooting, the VX-1 3-9x40mm would be great on both. Fading light is when you REALLY want to spend more money on scopes.
    Sorry ... that's a really long way of saying a VX-1 3-9x40mm would be ideal for possums.

Bloody Hell , why would you require magnification over 3 or 4 power to shoot a possum up a tree ?
    Toby likes this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Just sometimes, sometimes, you need to make absolutely sure of shot placement at a longer range shot up into a tree because you def don't want to miss, and have the bullet fly off into the night landing god knows where, when shooting on smaller sections (rather than a farm the size of the South Island).

iv got a 3-9 vx1 on one of my 22s and a simmons 3-9 on another at the ranges you shoot with the 22 I never take it above 5 power if ever taking it off 3 power

they kinda just ended up there after bieng replaced on my bigger rifles, Id go smaller objective on a 22 as well, just for size.
    what ever scope you have lieing around really. colour and definition arnt worth the coin at night. just get a brighter light

I also put a vx3 2.5-8 on my 22 for a short while and holey shit I loved it, but it was destined for another rifle so it got taken off

the zoom function on the scope is cool for rabbits a bit far away during daylight tho

the simmons 3-9x40 probably will never get taken off my old brno, it just works so well, and from memory it cost less than a hundred dollars when remington 700s use to come with them as a package deal.
    Gunzrrr likes this.

what I was trying to say is if you have a scope on another rifle that you want to replace, get a new one of those and put the scope on the 22 then its win win

Its only when I go from using a decent scope to something cheap that I really notice the difference, and its when you are shooting in low light that the better quality glass will make a big difference. Personally I would still go for something with a 50mm front end to make the most of the little light there is, something 3x9-50 would be perfect enabling you to crank up the mag to 9 for the longer shots.

I have a 4x32 on my .22 and 3.5-10 x 40 on .233. Both are overkill. Both have taken many a possum and many many many a rabbit and hare. 50mm objectives only come into their own in low or light and dusk and dawn over decent distances. Can't go wrong with semi decent 4x32.

For interests sake my bushnell 3-9x40 lets in more than enough light for early morning or dusk shooting. Objective size is only a factor. But for spotlighting small game anything over 32mm is excessive.

Sent from my Browning

Have a read of this: On Riflescopes

Quote Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
    Have a read of this: On Riflescopes
    I have now. Though a lot of NZ hunting is dawn and dusk like the Europeans, and that is where light gathering comes in.
    Gunzrrr likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I have gone to using 30mm tube scopes for better light gathering. If you compare a 3-9x50 with a 25mm tube to a 4-12x50 with a 30mm tube, the 30mm tube is far better.

Obviously you always use them on lowest power setting in the dark, to maximize the light gathering
    If you find yourself in a fair fight....your tactics suck

Have I missed something here ?
    The original question was about a scope to shoot possums with on a .22 , unless things have changed greatly since I was last in NZ then that usually means shooting with the aid of a spot light at an animal that is probably at a maximum range of 30 yrds , most of the time 20 feet .
    Since when has it become usual to shoot them at the extreme range of a 12V spotlight ( which by the way has a greater usable range than the .22 rifle that the scope will be mounted on ) .
    If the original question was asking what is the best scope-magnification to use with a spot light at range , with a centerfire , then the answer is a 8 x 56 euro scope ( just take a look at the pro Roo shooters here to see what actually works under those conditions , when their lively hood depends on it and they have to make accurate head shots on every animal ) .
    Unless your battery is nearly flat just about any scope will do when shooting at the normal ranges that possums are shot .
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA