Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Spur winged plovers

Spur winged plovers

Whats your thoughts about these aviation threats. They like flat ground near mud and have no predators except the hay mower when it gets dry enough.

Name:  picture 198.jpg
Views: 4008
Size:  165.0 KB

Nasty wee birds can cut a small native bird from the sky with the barb on the wing.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar

Spur winged plovers

12 auto and mag extension ...
    7mmsaum and Dundee like this.

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    scored 2 with 1 shot a few weeks ago - didn't even slow down

nasty as barb though

Shoot the pricks, had those bastards going after me when I was in Te Aroha those feathered turds thought they were shit hot till I rolled up in the bosses terrano and took the .22 to them.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Lead poisoning is good for them. Whatever is handy seems to work.

I hate the noisy pricks,wasnt aware of the barb on the wing! they are a predator then?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

there was talk some years back o having them on the game bird list
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Dundee, the only good one is a dead one. I have them on my property (always in pairs). They are noisy as but have trouble dodging shot.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

They roast up well and taste quite good....cough....or so I hear

have to send you mine lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Nasty wee birds can cut a small native bird from the sky with the barb on the wing.
    Only thing I've seen them take on are harrier hawks & magpies. As a useless piece of info: Plovers are native to NZ (they weren't liberated), just not endemic.

Re: Spur winged plovers

Always though they caught the wind here from Aussie?
    And that's why they used to be protected but not native
    See, I learn something new every day

Using TT2 with my MT15i

THEY DID

Spur-winged Plover
    Vanellus V. miles

The Spur-winged Plover that is found here in New Zealand is a self-introduced bird that was originally a native to Australia only, where it is called the masked lapwing. In fact this name is actually more accurate because it is not a true plover. Further confusion occurs when discovering that the northern hemisphere spur-winged plover, which breeds in the Mediterranean, is not related to this species either, and is also a lapwing rather than a true plover.

There are many different species of lapwing all around the world, but only 1 breeds in Australasia of which there are 2 sub-species. The northern sub-species V. miles miles breed in northern Australia and now New Guinea. The smaller sub-species V. miles novaehollandiae, which was originally confined to south-eastern Australia, extended its range to include Tasmania and then New Zealand as a self-introduced species.

Although vagrants of this sub-species were seen much earlier on, it wasn’t until the 1930’s that a pair were recorded as breeding here, at Invercargill airport. Initially, they stayed within coastal Southland, but by the 1950’s they had spread to inland areas, then central Otago. By the late 1960’s they had spread to the rest of the South Island and Stewart Island, and in the 1970’s were first recorded as breeding in the North Island.

This species is now considered to be quite abundant in the South Island and in some areas of the North Island, where it continues to become more common. They are classified as a protected self-introduced native.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    THEY DID

Spur-winged Plover
    Vanellus V. miles

The Spur-winged Plover that is found here in New Zealand is a self-introduced bird that was originally a native to Australia only, where it is called the masked lapwing. In fact this name is actually more accurate because it is not a true plover. Further confusion occurs when discovering that the northern hemisphere spur-winged plover, which breeds in the Mediterranean, is not related to this species either, and is also a lapwing rather than a true plover.

There are many different species of lapwing all around the world, but only 1 breeds in Australasia of which there are 2 sub-species. The northern sub-species V. miles miles breed in northern Australia and now New Guinea. The smaller sub-species V. miles novaehollandiae, which was originally confined to south-eastern Australia, extended its range to include Tasmania and then New Zealand as a self-introduced species.

Although vagrants of this sub-species were seen much earlier on, it wasn’t until the 1930’s that a pair were recorded as breeding here, at Invercargill airport. Initially, they stayed within coastal Southland, but by the 1950’s they had spread to inland areas, then central Otago. By the late 1960’s they had spread to the rest of the South Island and Stewart Island, and in the 1970’s were first recorded as breeding in the North Island.

This species is now considered to be quite abundant in the South Island and in some areas of the North Island, where it continues to become more common. They are classified as a protected self-introduced native.
    OK, so when I said that they had trouble dodging shot, I was generalising. Not my shot of course (skulks away smiling sheepishly)
    Dougie likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    not protected anymore - they where - but now on Schedule 5

Spur-winged plover (Vanellus miles)

Schedule 5 lists wildlife that is not protected throughout New Zealand. It currently includes a number of mammals, birds and amphibians, including most farmed species. It is lawful for anyone to hunt, kill, or have in their possession any wildlife listed on this schedule.