Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Double Shot
  • 3 Post By viper
  • 4 Post By Ernie
  • 1 Post By Feather or Shoot

Thread: Sub $500 scope for varminting.

Sub $500 scope for varminting.

Any recommendations? Needs to be 12 power and up. Have been looking at the Bushnell Legend UHD 4-14X44. Anyone got one of these? TIA

I use a couple of Vortex Diamondback HP one 3-12x42 and a 4-16x42, very nice scopes...

Have just sold a rifle I was going to put another brand new Diamondback HP 3-12 on so this scope is soon to be up for sale...

PM me if of interest.

Cheers Craig

depends on how you want to use the scope. This will depend on distance etc.
    I have been down this track a few times and it comes down to weather you want to get into dial up or get a scope with a good easy to use ballistic recticle.
    I have also seen a straight duplex used where the shooter knew the drops at certain distances and held over though this is the least preferred method.
    For long range varminting you will need a range finder at some point then you remove a big problem in getting a hit......judging the distance to allow you to make the right corrections.

The Vortex scopes are great, the bushnell you mention are really good, it's gotta be clear as rabbits aren't big .
    gadgetman, rossi.45 and Triso75 like this.

I use 2 Nikko stirling long range scopes. one is 6-24x50 the other 4-16x50 both cost me under your budget from Taieri arms in Mosgiel. Nothing flash but doing the job for me out to over 400yds on rabbits at the moment. one on a 223 the other a 22-250

I've got a falcon menace 4-14 x 44 mil mil, mil dot reticle, ffp. It's good, dial-able, good for holdovers. Glass could be better.

The thing that makes the biggest difference, i found, was an almighty sunshade. Varminting usually being done at dawn and dusk, the sunshade massively reduced the white haze you get when pointing generally towards the sun.

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk
    Triso75 likes this.

Cheers for the feedback guys. I ended up ordering a Bushnell Trophy 4-12x40 as the shop was out of stock of the one i mentioned before. The newer one has a side parallax adjustment on it. I have the same model on my 7mm-08 but it's the 3-9 version and it's been a great scope so im happy as with it. New one is for my .223 and i also have a range finder so it's all go.