Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Subsonic 22 ammo suggestions .

Subsonic 22 ammo suggestions .

Fired off a box of 50 winchester 40grain subsonics yesterday. Looking at them before firing noticed the hollow in the projectiles were very inconsistant. Had at least half a dozen that went supersonic upon firing. Winchester have always had a good reputation for knockdown power but quality control looks lacking .Micky Duck used to swear by the 42 grain subsonics but are they as good as they used to be ?. Have used CCI subs and although they shot well and are consistant , do they kill as well as winchester ?. Not chasing tackdriving accuracy just a good subsonic hunting round for rabbits ,possums and the odd handy wallaby .Recommendations please
    Last edited by waimo; 06-07-2022 at 02:53 PM.
    300CALMAN likes this.

I have good success with the CCI subs out to 90 yards. Seems to do the job if they go where they need to

CCI cycles well in my Ruger 10/22, shoots consistent and kills fairly well. Had the same issue as you with Winchester. Wasn't confident on groupings.
    I grab the 500 box of CCI these days.

Switched to Aguilas a while back when the CCIs weren't available. Found them quite good. I used to have problems with the odd CCI going super, had no such issues with the aguilas.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

+ 1 for Aguila in bolt action Toz..consistent, accurate, hit hard, no supers so far. Have not put them thru an auto.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

The American Winchester .22lr ammo is rubbish in comparison to the Aussie (factory closed) made stuff. The 42gr subs from Aussie use to be great.
    I have had all manner of issues with the American stuff, fliers, fail to fire, failure to extract (cause by variable rim thickness), massive variation in velocity (200+ FPS variation from one packet).

I changed to CCI 40gr HP. Very accurate and no issues over a 1000 or so rounds so far. Brought a bulk amount so I've settled on it.

aguila uses dupont powder, its filthy stuff in a semi
    XR500 likes this.

As above American Winchester not nearly as good as the Aussie stufff was....which is a shame cos it was bloody good.
    Cci seems consistent but expansion and terminal effect of the subs is not in the same league as the Aussie Win.
    Cci do do a segmented sub and that promises to do what the 42gr Winny did but I have not had any to try as yet.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Is all winchester ammo made in the us these days ?

Yep I run CCI in my JW15 kills rabbits what else does it need to do?

TLB
    The 42gr Winchester seems to be a touch better than the 40gr stuff. Shoots half the group size in a cz457.
    That 40gr stuff that we used was terrible. 20,000 rounds of it. Some packets the whole lot had wax filling the hollow point and would gum up mags after a brick or so. Not to mention how many went supersonic. Accuracy was very poor.
    The CCI stuff seems to go alright as does the fiocchi subbies. The later does have a little less knock down and it is noticable.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

MB
    CCI Subsonic have always been good to me. I've tried a few others including various Eley products and CCI Standard (round nose subsonic), but not as consistent in my rifle which is interesting because others speak highly of them.

mate...dont you remember what we used to do???? get 3" nail and give nose cavity a wee twirl to open it up a bit more......Ive done heaps but havent gone back out to try it LOL..... it worked for us back in 80s n early 90s so cant see why it wont now.
    TLB likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

40gr CCI subs are good.
    The 45gr "suppressor " are even better.
    I no longer use winchester, it's not as good as it used to be.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Hi I use 22 subs a lot for pest control , only use cci now, in 3 different riffles , bolt action n semi , recycles fine very consistent, cleaner, does the job