Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Subsonic 22LR round for hunting?

MB

Subsonic 22LR round for hunting?

Did a bit of target practice with my new CZ 452 yesterday. All went well, but the CCI Mini-Mag ammo was very loud. Not surprising since they are supersonic. Is there a subsonic round that you guys recommend that is good for rabbit and other pests to a maximum range of 75 metres?

The CCI sub sonic round is an excellent killer on small game and very consistent. I have found it good to over 100mtrs on rabbits. Should run very well through your CZ.
    Gerbs, Beaker and MB like this.

Should say also that if you go the subsonic way then run a suppressor / silencer and through the CZ it will be very quiet. Choose a good spot and you will be able to plink away and not disturb other game.
    I hardly ever use hi speed ammo any more, I find the subs a great way to shoot. Good luck.
    falconhell and MB like this.

Whinchester 42gr powerpoint.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    MB likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

MB
    Thanks for the rapid reply Viper. Looks like I'll be buying some CCI Subsonics then! I have a supressor and pretty happy with the the groupings of the Mini-Mags, so hopefully they will be similar.

Presumably the advantage of hi speed ammo is that it gives more killing power and accuracy over longer ranges?

Not necessarily, subs are generally more accurate but yes the

Extra velocity does give a bit more oomph but the subs will kill just as well.
    MB likes this.

The 42gr hits with a wallop for a sub. I found the cci didnt seem to expand as well as the winny subs.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    hamsav and MB like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    I only use subs in my rifles and CCI is firstly the most accurate in my rifles but I have had a funny batch that threw the odd round and would not cycle the action.
    Latest batch seems all good so far.
    Its not the cheapest out there but definitely the most accurate that I have tried in both my suppressed .22 semis.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Beaker and MB like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

If you are shooting rabbits then for all intensive purposes higher velocity only really affects the trajectory. (A bit easier to hit longer shots with a faster flatter trajectory.)

As for energy and impact, I have shot with many many brands and types of 22 from ultra slow (or super quiet) at 800fps through to hyper speed of 1500 fps or more. And I can tell you they ALL punch straight through a rabbit and disappear out the other side. All the extra energy does is make a deeper hole in whatever was behind the rabbit.

Try a few different brands of subs and see what your rifle likes. It is not an expensive exercise and it is fun. CCI subs have a good rep, as does Winchester and Kilwell. I have had success with Highland and they do two different subs, subsonic around the 1000fps and super quiet at around 800fps.
    223nut likes this.

Petros_mk and Beaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I only use subs in my rifles and CCI is firstly the most accurate in my rifles but I have had a funny batch that threw the odd round and would not cycle the action.
    Latest batch seems all good so far.
    Its not the cheapest out there but definitely the most accurate that I have tried in both my suppressed .22 semis.

Same, only use CCI subs for killing rabbits etc, CCI Standard for killing paper. CCI subs usually run dry in the shops b4 anything else which probably says something about their popularity.
    Need to maintain a STOCKPILE.
    The second best I have found were the Kilwell subs - the old blue packet now sadly superceded.

Hey Mighty Boosh, everything the boys say on here is solid advice.
    Personally I find as with any shooting shot placement plays a large part. If you have a rabbit right next to it's burrow a gut or hind quarters shot weather using Hi speed or Subs will result in the rabbit mortally wounded but escaping down its hole.
    I do like the way subs deliver their energy and often have a rabbit picked up and flipped clean over by subs where a lot of hi speed just rips through. Still results in a dead rabbit though.
    The one thing with subs is you need to do is spend some time working out your drop rate. Just takes a bit of practice but once you have it figured out it is very satisfying to get kills at 100mtrs plus.
    Your CZ ( I am a huge CZ fan ) is an excellent platform with GOOD optics to be a total first rate rabbit killer............practice, practice, practice........
    WallyR likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    That's not bad. I paid 95 bucks with a discount for my last brick. Only got it a couple weeks ago as well😆

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Have been using CCI subs through my 10/22 with suppressor and it works great for bunnies and possums. You can just make out the sound of the action and slight pop.