Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar

The Sweed as a varminter

Anyone using a 6.5 x 55 for varminting ?
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

I did, you can use anything....... there is no such thing as a rifle that cant shoot a varmint
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

I've seen a few that struggled...

If you are collecting the varmints as museum specimens with a 6.5 you might find the holes in them a bit big.

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    If you are collecting the varmints as museum specimens with a 6.5 you might find the holes in them a bit big.
    Mmm... if you consider a 6.5 hole to big what about a 338 300grSMK at 3150fps, a few years back I took my old 45 pound 338-416imp out on rodents it certainly was up to the job on those looong shot
    Back to the subject a 6.5 sweed could work but it would need to be accurate and in a good modern bolt action and in the right twist rate for the bullet intended for the job, then add a quality dial up scope and the bunnies better watch out.
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

Accuracy is not vital if you have crzyman behind the trigger - if his rate of fire on varmits is anything like his sustained rate of fire on steel they aint safe anywhere with him shootn a 6.5

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I see no reason why not, as has been said right twist and Hornays 95gr Vmax,for a varmint bullet, 100gr amax or 100gr sp would also do .Serria 85gr HP or 100gr HP as wellfor a varmint bullet, if accurate any of those should fair fly out of the 6.5.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    I see no reason why not, as has been said right twist and Hornays 95gr Vmax,for a varmint bullet, 100gr amax or 100gr sp would also do .Serria 85gr HP or 100gr HP as wellfor a varmint bullet, if accurate any of those should fair fly out of the 6.5.
    Alternatively, one could even use a decent bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by crzyman View Post
    I did, you can use anything....... there is no such thing as a rifle that cant shoot a varmint
    Yeah I realize that, I use what ever Ive got handy The last Hares I shot were snipered with a 44 magnum ( aka the flying brick ) thinking more LR

The reason I ask is that I'm looking at a T3 varmint in 6.5 Swede, chuck a decent scope on it & reckon it would be quite a cool "precision" gong & varmint gun

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Yeah I know what ya mean Tahr, hit em with anything with grunt & they seem to blow into chuncks

but no worries Ive got a 22 & 17hmr to use if I want to make a stew :have a nice day:

Squashed like a Flea
    G'Day Fella's,

As long as the rifle has the capacity to shoot very accurately (read, shoot small groups), the 6.5 Swede will make a great long range varmint rifle!

Hope that helps

Doh!
    Homer

Ejected
    And a lot of the old ex mil ones were/are very accurate, not fussy about ammo and would make a cool project rifle

Quite happy with my Swede, Wallaby out to 495 yards at this stage. Its only a cheap Husquvana too.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    Yeah I realize that, I use what ever Ive got handy The last Hares I shot were snipered with a 44 magnum ( aka the flying brick ) thinking more LR

The reason I ask is that I'm looking at a T3 varmint in 6.5 Swede, chuck a decent scope on it & reckon it would be quite a cool "precision" gong & varmint gun

Yeah I know what ya mean Tahr, hit em with anything with grunt & they seem to blow into chuncks

but no worries Ive got a 22 & 17hmr to use if I want to make a stew :have a nice day:
    You sure are spending a bit on toys lately? You got a divorce or something?
    I love all animals.........especially with gravy

Quote Originally Posted by Mossie View Post
    You sure are spending a bit on toys lately? You got a divorce or something?
    Nar still with my lovely old dragon, I did a bit of a f up & brought a rifle I didn't really need so am now thinking of doing a deal, time will tell as Im always changing my mind

Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post

philipo,dont even worry about the varmint rig my standard tikka sweede is way accurate enough with out the weight.make it heavier with a 30+ oz scope and you will have a rig for every thing out to 600+ a bit
    I was going to buy the new t3 6.5 sporter but it would not give me any real advantage
    come up and have a blat with it at the 600 range and we will have another convert!