Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Trapping Myna Birds

Question Trapping Myna Birds

Hi,

Myna Birds (Acridotheres tristis) are huge pest in our area.

They chase away native birds and I have also heard they take over native bird nest sites.

Has anyone tried trapping then with a PG Trap, see this you tube video about them

https://youtu.be/y75LuN2mTUo

If you have trapped them, what did you have success with in catching them?

Thanks…Gary

Apart from lead, the only effective response for Mynas i was able to use was Alphachloralose

https://tinyurl.com/y8o3x678

It works until the rest of the gang catch on then forget it....back to lead.

Stock and Station agents. Wrightsons, Farmlands etc
    mimms2 likes this.

They are very intelligent birds, intelligent enough to disappear upon sight of an air rifle if they've been shot at before. I've not come across anyone who's successfully trapped any.
    mimms2 likes this.

Took me a year. They don't come any where near us now. I was filling a 20 litre bucket daily Results = Herons on the pond yearly .Tuis pop in for a couple of weeks as well. Around now .

Survy, Steve123, mimms2 and 2 others like this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    They are very intelligent birds, intelligent enough to disappear upon sight of an air rifle if they've been shot at before. I've not come across anyone who's successfully trapped any.
    Yes, me neither. I will make a trap and report back if it works. They seem to have lots of luck in Oz with trapping them...Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Took me a year. They don't come any where near us now. I was filling a 20 litre bucket daily Results = Herons on the pond yearly .Tuis pop in for a couple of weeks as well. Around now .

What did you do happy, shoot or trap them?...Thanks...Gary

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGary View Post
    What did you do happy, shoot or trap them?...Thanks...Gary
    Shot them with a .17 cal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KiwiGary likes this.

Well I have built a PG Trap and so far I have caught two

Name:  Two Hedgehogs.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  267.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Interesting.

We have a wide range of resident birds, particularly tuis, kereru, welcome swallows, yellowhammers, sparrows, kotare, Californian quails, blackbirds & thrushes, piwakawaka, chaffinch, pheasants, pukekos, silvereyes... others... and mynas, starlings and magpies.

The most recent arrival is the Australian Eastern Rosella, which are rapidly breeding up into quite significant flocks, and everything I have read about this suggests they will soon be given pest status by Environment Waikato. (I believe they are already a pest in greater Auckland.) We saw them for the very first time in the valley where we hunt in western Ruapehu this past Christmas.

The only bird that I actively prosecute is the magpie as to be honest I’ve never really been bothered by the mynas, and they don’t appear to have any effect on the prospects of other bird species, on our block at least. They are quite irritating though, at 4.30 a.m. in summer. I have watched a magpie raiding nests in our one small native plantation in the garden, and stealing tui hatchlings, which at the time made me very cross (and I didn’t realise how rare it is to actually observe that). But the mynas seem to hang out with the other species without too many problems, going by the prolific numbers of other birds at least.

Just my observations on our property and I fully understand that elsewhere mynas are excessive and need to be thinned out.
    Just...say...the...word

A loaf of bread soaked in water so they can't steal it to quick and a grunty air rifle sorts them out. When I was a young fella in Auckland many a myna and hour was spent shooting them this way. They do wise up pretty quick though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    A loaf of bread soaked in water so they can't steal it to quick and a grunty air rifle sorts them out. When I was a young fella in Auckland many a myna and hour was spent shooting them this way. They do wise up pretty quick though.
    I found aiming an inch or two above them helped. Pretty sure they could hear the spring releasing. Switched to aiming high and got better success. Grunty air rifle and rural setting helped. Air pistol works better in suburbia as chances of over shooting are slim to none. If you keep at them consistently they'll move somewhere life's easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    ...............The most recent arrival is the Australian Eastern Rosella, which are rapidly breeding up into quite significant flocks,
    Evil little shits. It was open slaver on them when i was in Kumeu a they eat the fruit, strip the leaves, chew the bark and nibble through branches of fuit trees.
    .22 was effective and once to my delight I got two at once with one 12 gauge.
    Survy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGary View Post
    Well I have built a PG Trap and so far I have caught two Attachment 158133
    WELL WELL...... A new hybrid Myna, wingless and prickly.........what ever next. :>)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    Evil little shits. It was open slaver on them when i was in Kumeu a they eat the fruit, strip the leaves, chew the bark and nibble through branches of fuit trees.
    .22 was effective and once to my delight I got two at once with one 12 gauge.
    Well, nothing has changed, their numbers have increased in the area and they make a right mess in the mornings ugh.
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

Ned
    I've got a few now in a cage trap. It took maybe a couple of weeks of baiting before a couple finally got in there. If I was more organised i'd keep one to try as a calling bird. Persevere and you should get a few in there eventually. I think once you get one a decoy bird would quickly up the catch rate.