Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: VIDEO: 'Smashing' Spring Rabbits with the 17 Hornet

GWH

VIDEO: 'Smashing' Spring Rabbits with the 17 Hornet

I took the CZ 527 in 17 Hornet out for a quiet little wander around the apple orchard late on Saturday arvo, man I love this rifle/cartridge!

Since getting a Pard NV008 I've been doing much more shooting at night of late and using the 17hmr so I don't have to worry about losing Hornet brass. But i forgot just how much I enjoy wandering around in the late arvo sun (much more enjoyable than the cold nights of winter using the Nightvision).

Here are a few shots that I filmed.

Brian, gadgetman, Ryan and 20 others like this.

interesting how they just sit there after you vibe checked their buddy right next to them.
    GWH and Ryan like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    interesting how they just sit there after you vibe checked their buddy right next to them.
    Yeah its bizare eh, i wonder if they think if they dont move they wont be seen?
    Russian 22. and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Yeah its bizare eh, i wonder if they think if they dont move they wont be seen?
    probably. Hell some people just freeze up when shit goes down even tho they know it is stupid.
    GWH and Cordite like this.

Excellent!!

Good work nailing those little spring bunnies.
    GWH likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    on the video sound the hornet seems pretty quiet for such a high velocity. does the bullet not pass through much as the other ones sitting right beside the shot one seem unfazed and the one that was directly behind didnt seem to get hit with any fragments . nice place to shoot with all those nice rows and reasonable short grass.
    Yeah the projectile blows up when it hits anything, even a blade of grass, which makes it very safe in these flat properties.

Yeah i enjoy shooting that property, the rows present challenges thou, rabbits often are only one or two hops from dissappearing into the next row, meaning i need to reposition myself.
    berg243 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    probably. Hell some people just freeze up when shit goes down even tho they know it is stupid.
    Actually I think it's pretty common. Even with training some soldiers still do it.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Yeah the projectile blows up when it hits anything, even a blade of grass, which makes it very safe in these flat properties.

Yeah i enjoy shooting that property, the rows present challenges thou, rabbits often are only one or two hops from dissappearing into the next row, meaning i need to reposition myself.
    I will use the 17hmr in some of the more built up places I shoot any day over a 22LR. I have never had a ricochet from a 17, lots from 22. Although 17HMR has a lot more muzzle energy the little pill has a low BC and little weight so it will fall out of the sky if you were to do the unthinkable and fire your rifle at a point above the horizon.

I so want a 17 Hornet, unfortunately Savage tell me they have no plans for a left handed mod 25. It seems left handed CZs in 17hornet are rocking horse shit.
    GWH likes this.

Good shooting well done
    GWH likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    I will use the 17hmr in some of the more built up places I shoot any day over a 22LR. I have never had a ricochet from a 17, lots from 22. Although 17HMR has a lot more muzzle energy the little pill has a low BC and little weight so it will fall out of the sky if you were to do the unthinkable and fire your rifle at a point above the horizon.

I so want a 17 Hornet, unfortunately Savage tell me they have no plans for a left handed mod 25. It seems left handed CZs in 17hornet are rocking horse shit.
    Yes, this is the main reason i use 17 hmr and 17 Hornet, some of the properties i shoot are smaller, all flat, and some have lots of huge plastic water tanks full of fertigation mixes, if i was to get a ricochet from a 22lr (which happens all the time) and put a hole thru one of these tanks i wouldnt be very popular. Other properties are besides motorways and i need to know that the bullet is going to go where i want it and not deflect off and keep going in any random direction.

The 17's just blow up. I've witnessed a number of times now 17's both hmr and Hornet blowing up on a thin seed stalk of weedy grass sticking up in front of a rabbit, this gives me great confidence that there is zero chance of a ricochet off a stone, ground, tree trunk etc

The 17 Hornet is a seriously effective tool. Finding a CZ527 in 17 Hornet is hard enough, let alone a lefty. I feel for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Actually I think it's pretty common. Even with training some soldiers still do it.
    Yeah, the flight or fight response. Also with supersonic projectiles the sleeping tablet arrives before the sound and they can't figure out where the threat is from so just sit tight trying to be invisible.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Nice shooting, would have been tempted to take out a few of those ugly blue 2 legged things as well.
    GWH likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Nice shooting, would have been tempted to take out a few of those ugly blue 2 legged things as well.
    Yes, and on some properties that have permits for them i do. These birds are becoming a serious pest problem here in the Hawkes Bay (I assume many other areas too) There are thousands of them all over the area. Honestly, it's about time Fish and Game reclassified them as a pest and allowed un-permitted control of them. On one orchard i shoot rabbits on the pukes have started attacking staff this year, flying at their heads with claws out, I'd not heard of this behaviour before. They cause so many other problems it's just not funny.
    chainsaw likes this.

Great filming, thanks for posting, Im out to my local farm this avo with .22mag

That's so cool , what a neat caliber the 17 Hornet is. One of those rabbits in the video sort of exploded. I took my 223 and 22K Hornet out on Saturday and shot 34 rabbits great evening wander. The 223 certainly thumps the rabbits a bit harder with several going two ways. Even the K Hornet was messing them up with the 40 gr BT. Love your videos very efficient way to control rabbits.
    GWH likes this.