Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wallabies

Wallabies

Am trying to work out what makes wallabies tick . Am going to take the pot licker on a hunt later this month . Have hunted them 3 or 4 times when they are a pleasure to hunt ,with a pointer they sit tight as , even in tussock , the dog gets within a few feet or closer. But the last few times I've hunted them they jump up well before the dog gets a chance . Can anyone shed light on this , maybe it's hunting pressure ?it's hard to work out. Cheers Munsey

I guess some have more bounce than others.Good luck cause it is fun.

I've found the same. In some cases it's hunting pressure + age, but I'm not sure what it is in other cases. We hunt on one farm (which gets heavily hunted) where the roos are still out during the day and easily picked off, except for a few canny ones up the top, and yet on another block which gets hardly any hunting pressure at all (we're the only ones who hunt it, and infrequently) they're running away before we've spotted them, and you pretty much have to spotlight to catch them.

The only thing I can think of is that roos in the first block might be seeing the farmers a bit more frequently, and have got used to seeing people.

Hey,

I've got a mate that lives up Kurow way thats got a few wallabies living there. And Im keen to go have a crack at them, Im going to borrow a 223 and take the wsm also. But what im wondering is what size projectiles will be sufficient for wallabies I'm thinking around 55gr?

Cheers

(Sorry Munsey for Hijacking)

What breed are they at Kurow? If they are dama a small projectile would be best but we used the .223 on the big rednecks down South.

I've cartwheeled them with the 22-243 while they were in full flight, 55g.

We shot a lot with the shotgun and bb's, 223's, Sks just whatever. My 300wsm was good to.

I have a customer with several thousand acres of roo ground
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

55gr from 223 is good, just aim for the skinny part where the vitals are and they will drop nicely

Haven't hunted them in NZ but on all the roo species in Aussie it's common to find them resting through the middle of the day, they are pretty active in the cooler mornings and evenings, and all through the nights. Held best for the dog mid morning as they return to bed. Also when a doe is in heat the bucks will do crazy things
    Just means you have different tactics, indicator dog and rifle in the day heat, shotgun and a flatdeck ute in the evenings when they are running, then spotlight at night

Quote Originally Posted by crzyman View Post
    I've cartwheeled them with the 22-243 while they were in full flight, 55g.

We shot a lot with the shotgun and bb's, 223's, Sks just whatever. My 300wsm was good to.

I have a customer with several thousand acres of roo ground

Yeah and I hear they are on the back of the Hawkduns. Won't be long till they are in the maniototo at that rate.!!