Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Where to Small Game Hunt with an Air Rifle (in North Canterbury)

Where to Small Game Hunt with an Air Rifle (in North Canterbury)

Hi all! I'm new to the scene, and was looking at getting into some light, recreational small game shooting (from having zero hunting or shooting knowledge at all). A few places have suggested an air rifle is a good place to start for target and small game, and means I won't need to get a FAL. Aside from an air rifle I'd also consider learning to use a now, but that's about my limit considering I'm as green as them come.

I've since contacted DOC about getting a small game licence to start my journey. Apparently you can't hunt on public conservation land with an air rifle. So my question is - where can you hunt with one? Only private land? In which case I'd know no one.

river bed wouldnt be bad place to start......a friendly farmer would be best of all.

Forestry companies often issue hunting permits for their managed forests.

Ok cool, I'll start to look some up. Thank you

With an Air rifle you will have different options . Small game i.e pests are not limited to Rabbits etc , think rats all Farmers etc are plagued by them and can be a foot in the door for access to bigger things like rabbits etc . Also with an Air rifle it opens up another option of Golf Courses etc , green keepers hate those golf green digging bast4rds .Life style blocks are another option too.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Before using it pick up a arms code and have read. remember a river bed is a public place. Also must be a range down there that allows air rifles, maybe ask local sports shop

The Seven Firearms Safety Rules

Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded.
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire.
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone.
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely. Rule 7: Avoid both alcohol and drugs when handling firearms.

MB
    Welcome. I salute your common sense starting with an air rifle, unlike some newbies who want a 7mm mag from the off. Good luck finding somewhere to shoot, sounds like you have some door knocking in your near future.
    Micky Duck, flock and bigbear like this.

I started out the same as you a few years ago, still on the lookout for places myself..

It will have to be private property with owners permission to use an air gun for hunting.
    occasionally I'll head to my bosses lifestyle block for a walk but more often than not when I do see bunnies they're out of Air rifle range or already running,
    its a start but you'll probably want to upgrade to something with more reach and power if looking at public land.

A good air rifle is a nice tool to have for learning the fundamentals and using on small properties where you want to ensure shots don't leave the boundaries.

I use a .22cal Gamo Maxim paired with H&N Hornet pellets when hunting.
    I can usually hit within a 30mm circle at 50meters (not as accurate as my rimfire rifles but it does the job)
    At 24 joules (1.05 gram pellets at about 700fps) its got enough power to kill rabbits and hares but shot placement is key.

I didn't think that river beds would be allowed being public spaces? Or may airguns be used in public? Obviously following code and common sense)

That's great to hear! I've narrowed my own search down to the Gamo Maxxim myself. Looks like it ticks as many boxes as an air rifle can.

Thank you everyone so far, this forum has been far more helpful than and store or individual contact I've spoken to so far.

It does still sound like an air rifle could be a good starting option. Also I was expecting comments with people wondering why I wasn't going straight into getting a FAL and a high powered rifle, so to see the opposite is very reassuring. Just wish they made it easier for people starting out (with an airgun) to find places to use them.

I'll see what I can find. Thanks again all

damn and i just put mine for sale on trademe !!!

Banned
    @SlamPunk shooting pigeons under bridges ( probably illegal ) and in hay sheds is a great way to start and gives you something you can eat. Just use a very dull light so they dont fly. Watching in the evenings for where they roost then getting permission to thin the numbers

just remember airguns (spring air type) kick forward then back as its the whiplash effect of the spring etc. so never use a cheap scope not designed to accept it
    Finnwolf and SlamPunk like this.

Yeah thanks! I've been looking into the gas piston type models for that very reason.