Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Wobblies

Wobblies

Went South last night for an early start on some pesky Aussie invaders of the MacKenzie. Been itching to get the Zastava 223 down there ever since I found out the thing can actually shoot, and I can too (just little a bit) just to complete the deal. Strolled and looked over 6km in about 4 hours in the morning with the only one seen running along the ridge line 60 odd metres away so let it go without a shot. The afternoon I tackled the other end of the block and managed to bowl three. The first one I aimed just at the base of the neck as it stood up to look at me hunkered behind the matagouri. A very gentle squeeze of the trigger had a hit right in the middle of the neck; I need to get used to these things not dropping like the 22lr on rabbits . Must have been a wobblie at about 140m, not a rabbit at about 85m hoping to hit it in the chest.

The one below was nailed at about 10m. Went in the chest as it leaned towards me, and was rather messed up inside. At least I managed to bring one home for the pot.

I might have to take a better photo of the rifle and update my posting in the show us your varmint rig thread
    veitnamcam likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Good one GM.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I must have a go at the wobblies one day. What do they taste like?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Stick to the venie cam ! . The back wheels are the best as the back straps got sinue. Meat not offensive bt not really got much flavor as such . Not bad in salami .
    veitnamcam likes this.

Should have add they are great fun to hunt .

Back legs are fantastic roasted - tender as lamb but with more flavour. They were also pretty good sliced up and chucked on the bbq. Don't bother taking anything apart from the legs, there isn't much on the rest of them.

Have to agree they are great fun to hunt, not the brightest critters in the world (they are Aussies after all). Headshot one with the 308 and there wasn't really any head left, just a jagged stump.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Ditto VC. That is something I have never done either.
    Vapour likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely

I've had back straps from them before and tasted a lot like venison, marinated and cooker rare on a BBQ. Planing on roasting the back legs with lamb flaps to moisten a bit. Easier that rabbits really, though not so plentiful, like big rabbits but being Australian only half the brains. I must say the accuracy of this setup is stunning. Great fun sitting behind the matagouri with the tall bipod holding the rifle just over the top. The tricky part is finding a soft jagged rock to sit on.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Good on you gagetman, as you say great fun.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Brought home 7kgs back leg meat from last trip. Templeton butcher made them into very nice sausages.
    Great in sausage casserole.

Well done Gadgetman they are certainly fun too hunt and eat (back legs)
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

All I need to do now is figure out a way to build up a paralysed muscle or two in the left thigh coz it's giving me some grief right now. What muscles do work have to try and make up for the lost ones and they can only do so much before they give up. Might have to battle through the jungle (overgrown busted conservatory) and rescue the cycle simulator and get the road bike back onto it.

Skinned the one I brought home after the girls had a good nosy at it. Had a good quiz myself before grabbing the back legs and back stakes. Even recovered my first projectile, haven't even managed that with any of the 30 odd rabbits I've done. In future I'll only grab those bits in the field and leave the rest. Roll on next trip and a nice cold day for a roast.

Hey GM. Have you tried shooting sticks. A mate of mine has them and reckons they are really good. Might save the hassle of carting around a long bipod. Whats the scope and suppressor on the .223 ?

Never tried shooting sticks, but once the bipod is attached it is no hassle. Most places I go they are really good, tall enough to shoot up hill when I'm sitting, or over tussock/matagouri. The rifle has a gunworks suppressor and a 4.5-16xsomething Tasco scope. I do have a couple of better scopes I can put on it at some stage, a Pentax or a Weaver Grand Slam.

I use shooting sticks - no bipod. Lighter to carry. Versatile on hills. Very solid in a possie.