Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

The ‘feed belt’

Hi guys,

Getting back into hunting after some time away starting a family. I’m new to hunting the Ruahines, but have spent 20yrs hunting other parts of N.Z. I have heard a lot of people mention the ‘feed belt’. Am I right that this is the bush zone immediately downslope of the leatherwood? I’m hunting the mid-western Ruahines. Word on the street is that’s the place to be spending my time stalking....

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_Nick View Post
    Hi guys,

Getting back into hunting after some time away starting a family. I’m new to hunting the Ruahines, but have spent 20yrs hunting other parts of N.Z. I have heard a lot of people mention the ‘feed belt’. Am I right that this is the bush zone immediately downslope of the leatherwood? I’m hunting the mid-western Ruahines. Word on the street is that’s the place to be spending my time stalking....
    Sounds like you have it sussed

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Ibelieve you are correct...where I normally hunt down here in sth canturbury the area they seem to feed in most of the time can be between 50-100yards altitude wise,sometimes much less.we dont have the same sort of transition zone here.... stalk up a gut/gully till you find fresh feeding sign...take note of altitude then sidle....

Awesome, thanks guys. Can’t wait till things warm up, huntings been a bit hard lately and the freezers getting a bit low...

Yes from my time hunting the Ruahines I found the deer either just below the leatherwood or on the slips and river flats. The bit in between was mainly crown fern and held few, if any deer